20

Carter read his name over and over before opening the letter

Dear Carter Bennett,

I broke your promise. I am so unbelievably sorry for that. I wonder if you can ever forgive me. I hope you can.

I am assuming by now that you and Ellis have realised that I have left Avonlea. Or at least Ellis has.

I'm working on a steam ship. It is certainly interesting. Bash, a worker on the ship, he's making me feel most welcome. Not that you're really too bothered.

How is Ellis? Is she still in school? I hope that she is doing well. I imagine she is. She's very smart, but I'm sure you knew that already.

If it is not too much to ask, would you ask Ellis to write to me. I would love to explain myself to her. Why I left so suddenly without an explanation.

Yours faithfully,
Gilbert Blythe

Carter looked up from the letter as Ellis walked in. She had become more isolated since Pops hit her. There was still bruising around her eye.

Carter wished that he could've been there when Pops hit her so that he could've helped, stopped it even.

He remembered the day vividly, he had been home for an hour or two, Pops was complaining how she was weak and ran away after a beating.

Not even hours later, Ellis ran into the house crying that Gilbert had left. That was the first day that Carter hugged Ellis. The bruise on her eye was huge and their was a large hand mark on her face.

She didn't leave her room for weeks, Carter did all the errands and ran around after Pops. It was only recently that she had come out of her room and started tending for Pops again.

But she wasn't the same Ellis Carla Bennett that she was when Gilbert Blythe was around, she had changed, she was different.