64

Ellis held hands with Gilbert Blythe as they walked over to the Indians

Ellis held hands with Gilbert Blythe as they walked over to the Indians. Ellis' other hand wrapped around his wrist and clung to him tightly.

"It's a very fine stick. Thank you." Gilbert smiled as he admired the stick.

"I hope you play well." The man smiled. Ka'Kwet smiled widely at Ellis. Ellis glanced between the family and gave them all a small timid smile.

"Easter is so pretty." Ka'Kwet said as she looked around with an innocent smile.

"Excuse me. You there. Indians. My husband. Thomas Lynde." Rachel introduced. Ellis leaned her head on Gilbert's shoulder and looked up at him through her lashes. "And I am Rachel Lynde. I bring you glad tidings from our government."

Mr Lynde fiddled with the piece of paper before Mrs Lynde snatched it from his grip. She didn't move but tried to pass the paper to them with little to no contact. Ellis scoffed and took the paper.

"There's a boarding school in Halifax." Gilbert read over Ellis' shoulder. "They would teach you to read and write English, and all sorts of things." Ka'Kwet turned to her parents and translated what Gilbert had said. They both took a step away from the others and had a discussion of their own.

Ellis tugged on Gilbert's sleeve to find out what was going on. She knew that if she were to attempt to talk, she'd stutter badly.

"Do you parents like the idea?" Gilbert questioned.

"Big fight." Ka'Kwet answered.

"We will think on it." Aluk said, looking over at Mr and Mrs Lynde.

"Well, there you go, dear heart. You may well have saved some Indians today." Mr Lynde said. Ellis handed the paper to Ka'Kwet.

Ellis nudged Gilbert as the church bells rang. Carter and James both waved their hands around telling the couple to hurry up. Ellis chuckled and shook her head.