32

Ellis skipped to the door, it was Christmas eve

Ellis skipped to the door, it was Christmas eve. Normally, she hated Christmas but it meant that her birthday was less than a week away and that meant that all of her brothers would be able to spend her fifthteenth birthday with her.

"Jerry. Hello." Ellis smiled happily.

"I brought you something." Jerry passed her the Christmas card that he made for her. It was identical to the one he made Anne.

Ellis opened the card with a huge smile.

'Merry Christmas
Elis,
From Jerry'

"Did I spelt it right?" Jerry questioned as he watched Ellis looked at the card.

"Y-yes." The truth was, Ellis couldn't tell if it was spelt correctly of not. "Thank you Jerry. I'll hang it up. Have a merry Christmas Jerry."

"You too Ellis."

As soon as Ellis got inside she put the card on the table with a smile.

"He spelt your name wrong." Reuben pointed out.

"He did?" Ellis questioned.

"Your name has to L's Ellie."

~

"Can you get the door please, Ellis!" James shouted. Ellis ran to the door. She was wearing her favourite dress, which was pastel yellow and her brothers all wore their suits.

"Hi." Ellis said as she swung the door open excitedly.

"Somebody's happy." Gilbert said with a grin as he walked into the Bennett's house. Gilbert grabbed Ellis' hand and twirled her around making her giggle.

"I am." Ellis smiled as the boys took of their coats which she hung up.

"You look beautiful Ellis." Gilbert complimented and Ellis blushed.

"Thank you Gilbert." She grabbed his hand and pulled him into the kitchen. "Everyone's in here."

Gilbert's eyes flickered to the table with a card from Jerry on it and unknowingly he clenched his jaw.

"Gilbert. Sebastian." Ernest stopped what he was doing to walk over the boys. He quickly shook both of their hands. "Sebastian. I'm Ernest, this is Franklin, Patrick, Reuben, James, Carter and our younger sister Ellis." Ernest introduced his younger siblings one by one. "Everyone this is Sebastian."

"Bash, will do just fine." Bash looked around the kitchen and smiled. "What a lovely home."

"Thank you, but we can't take all the credit." Franklin chuckled. "Our mother decorated the whole house."

"Will she be joining us today?" Sebastian questioned. He had no idea that their mother was dead.

Ellis' mood dropped. She had never got to spend a Christmas with her mother. Gilbert gave her hand a light squeeze.

"Our mothers-"

"She's dead." James cut Ellis off bluntly.

"I'm so sorry." Bash stated.

"It wasn't your fault, you didn't know." Ellis smiled at him.

~

Gilbert pulled Ellis into the room, away from her brothers.

"Yes?" Ellis questioned with a small smile.

"You haven't stuttered yet." Gilbert pointed out. "Why?"

"I think being around people that I'm comfortable with, overrides my nerves. I mean my brothers are here. You're here. Bash is just one person." Ellis smiled.

She really hoped that he'd be proud of her.

Instead of saying anything Gilbert dug deep into his pocket.

"I got you something."

"Gilbert Blythe, I tell you every year not to get me a present-"

"And every year I get you a present. Have you not learnt by now?" Gilbert had bought her a number of things. Like the necklace that she wore constantly, or the light yellow ribbon that held her hair up.

"Do you want me to open it now?" Ellis questioned and Gilbert nodded.

"Thought you could use it." He chuckled as Ellis opened the pocket dictionary she couldn't help but laugh.

"Screw you Gilbert Blythe, Screw you." She joked and the boy shook his head a genuine smile appearing on his lips as he said,

"Merry Christmas Ellis."

"Merry Christmas Gilbert."