13

Gilbert rushed around the house as he prepared his lunch and breakfast for his father

Gilbert rushed around the house as he prepared his lunch and breakfast for his father. He knew he was running late for school, which would probably panic Ellis, but Miss Kincannon was running late too.

Gilbert toasted the bread and filled the tea pot with tea and placed a tea cup on the tray. Gilbert grabbed a red apple from the basket and smiled. He couldn't help but think of Ellis and the red apple that she threw at Carter.

He carried the tray into his father, who was bed bound.

"Thank you." John smiled at his son. He was always helping others.

Gilbert wrapped his sandwich and placed it in his bag.

"Mrs Kincannon will be here shortly." Gilbert shouted to his father.

"I'm fine. You go on to school, son." John insisted from his bedroom.

"And I'll be home straight after school." Gilbert said as he walked into his fathers room.

"Alright. Thank you son." John coughed.

Gilbert pulled on his coat and rushed out into the snow, late which she immediately noticed.

"Well good morning Mrs Kincannon." Gilbert said as he met with the woman who was caring for his father.

"Gilbert, you're late for school." The woman stated.

"I promise I'll get your wages next week from the bank." Gilbert reassured her.

"No worries. I know where you live." Mrs Kincannon joked as Gilbert continued running to school, hopefully to get there before Ellis left.

~

"You're late." Ellis crossed her arms and glared at Gilbert.

"I know, I am so sorry Ellis." Gilbert said as he took off his flat cap, scarf and coat. Ellis looked as if she was about to leave. "It looks like I got here just in time." Gilbert motioned to her coat. "Come on." He said as he helped her take it off and hung it on the peg next to his.

"Gilbert Blythe, you will be the death of me." Ellis joked, shaking her head.

~

"Which districts comprise the Prairies? Gilbert?" Mr Phillips questioned.

Gilbert stood from his seat and began,

"Umm, the districts of Athabasca, Alberta, Saskatchewan and Assiniboia."

"Now that, is a clever student." Mr Phillips stated proudly.

"Ellis. The flags of England and France have flown over Canada, as has the flag of one other European country, from 1789 to 1795. Name the country."

Ellis glanced over to Gilbert who mouthed the word 'Spain.'

"S-s-" Ellis panicked as she stuttered and said the first word that came to her head. "Socks." The whole class burst into a fit of laughter.

"Unfortunately, the same can not be said for Miss Bennett." Mr Phillips laughed. "Anne, which provinces comprise the Atlantic Maritimes?"

Anne rose from her seat in disbelief,

"I'm sorry, what was the question?"

"Could you not hear me?" Mr Phillips asked. "Was I not speaking loudly enough?" He shouted.

"I'm sorry, I just-"

"The Atlantic Maritimes!" Mr Phillips shouted as the class laughed at Anne. "Some time today." Anne didn't answer and Mr Phillips grew impatient. "Class dismissed."

Gilbert walked over to Ellis and helped her stand from her seat.

"Socks?"

"Shut up Blythe." Ellis rolled her eyes. "I just panicked."

"Spain." He corrected. "I said Spain."

"I know what you said." Ellis looked up at his dark brown eyes. "I just panicked." Gilbert nodded, placed his hand at the small of her back and guided her to the cloak room. He took her coat off the peg and handed it her before grabbing his own coat.

"Nice boys never say people eat insects." Gilbert says as he pulled on his coat.

"I beg your pardon?" Diana questioned confused.

"It's a mnemonic device. It helps you remember things, right. That's uh, the Maritimes. New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, PEI. Nice boys—"

"Diana, could you please tell Gilbert Blythe that I don't need his help?" Anne questioned turning to Diana.

"Why don't you just tell mr yourself? I'm right here."  Gilbert questioned looking to Ellis. He glanced at his scarf and wrapped it around her. She looked up to him and blushed.

"I suppose I just did." Anne turned and snapped.

"Mnemonics is spelled with an 'M'. Not that you need my help or anything." Ellis linked her arm with Gilbert, something they did often when they walked home together. "Have a good weekend." He chuckled.

"You too." Diana said in shock at Ellis and Gilbert.

~

Gilbert smiled once he saw the horse in the front yard. Gilbert unlinked their arms and headed over to Toffee.

"Hello." Gilbert smiled as he stroked the horses mane. "I've never seen you before."

Ellis chuckled but yet stood back in awe so she could watch as he lovingly ran his fingers through the matted hair.

"That's because we keep him out back for Carter."

"Do you want to go out for a ride?" Gilbert questioned turning to face Ellis, her cheeks blushed rose and she looked down at the floor almost embarrassed,

"I-I don't know how to ride." Ellis admitted.