57

"Mary

"Mary. James, Carter and I are here to help with Delphine and the farm." Ellis said as she walked into to hear Delphine crying.

"Good afternoon Mary." Carter said with a smile. Ellis quickly rushed to grab Delphine to help stop her from crying.

James jumped once he saw a man leaning against the wall. He quickly stood in front of everyone. He'd do anything to protect those who he cares about.

"This is my son." Mary said. "Did you sleep?" She questioned he was clearly drunk, which made her on edge.

"Huh. Aren't mother's suppose to have a magic touch? But instead you're letting this white girl care for your daughter?" Elijah stumbled over to Ellis who was holding Delphine.

Ellis cradled Delphine and held her tighter. James clenched his fist. Nobody was going to be rude and disrespectful to his sister or Mary. Carter tried his hardest to remain calm but he already knew that he didn't like Elijah. He wasn't going to resort to violence, because that wasn't like him but he hated the disrespect that Mary's son had for Mary.

"What you got to cry about anyhow? You got everything. A house. A daddy. Aye you even got yourself a fancy white daddy and mommy too." Elijah said as he talked to Delphine. Ellis clenched her jaw she goddamn hated drunks. Ellis took a few steps away from the man. Carter and James both stood in front of their sister and Deli.

James pulled Elijah back, making him stumble. Mary looked at her son in disgust.

"Got something you'd like to say?" Elijah taunted.

"Ellis, please take Delphine into my room." Mary said as she turned to face the brunette with a soft smile.

Ellis nodded and took Delphine to Mary and Bash's room.

"Hey Deli." She gently rocked the girl. "Your brothers just had a bit too much to drink hasn't he? Yes he has." She talked in a baby voice to the child. "But it'll be okay. Cause Uncle James and Uncle Carter will make sure that everything is okay."

Deli eventually fell asleep so Ellis put her in her cot.

~

"Am I disrupting things mother? Your sparking white new life?" Elijah questioned teasingly and so Carter glared at him.

"I want you here so much Elijah. But I do not want you drinking around this baby. You hear that?" Mary questioned as she went to cut up some potatoes.

"I see how it is. This is a do-over. Wouldn't want your new baby getting corrupted by the one that came out ruined." Elijah slurred.

"You need to speak to Mary with more respect." Carter said angrily. "She's your mother."

Elijah tipped a bucket over, making Mary jump and cut herself.

"Mary!" Bash said as he rushed in with flowers in his hand.

"Are you okay?" Carter questioned, rushing to Mary's aid.

"It's fine, I cut myself. That is all." Mary said as she wrapped it up quickly. Bash made his way towards his wife.

"I see." Elijah chuckled. "You got the hero thing going? Can't help but swoop in can you? Papa."

James scoffed and rolled up his sleeves. He was wearing his best shirt today. He didn't want to get blood on it, if he had to put Elijah in his place.

"Can I call you that?" Bash glared at Elijah. "Oooh, I know that look." He teased. "Seems papa wants to put me over his knee."

"I think it might be time you leave." James stated calmly. He took a liking to both Bash and Mary and he knew that both Carter and Ellis did too.

"James, it's alright." Mary said stepping in front of James.

Mary became a mother figure to him. She cared for him and made sure he had eaten before helping Bash work on the farm. She asked him if his day was okay. James had talked to Mary about his own mother. He told her how she died when he was only two, so he didn't know her well.

"Yeah, James. It's alright. That baby's more than alright." Elijah pointed to the room where Ellis and Delphine were. "After all she wanted her. I was just the thing she got stuck with. She was too stupid to keep her skirt down."

James could see what Elijah was saying was making Bash and Carter mad so he grabbed Elijah's shirt and pinned him against the wall. Elijah tried to push James back, but James was too strong. James pulled him back from the wall and slammed him against it once again. James grabbed Elijah's cheeks roughly, making him look at him.

"You best keep that filthy mouth of yours shut." James threatened angrily. Ellis popped her head out of the door, after hearing a loud bang. "You should lie down and sober up." James released the grip his hand on Elijah and let him walk away.