51

Gilbert knocked on the Bennett's door

Gilbert knocked on the Bennett's door. It was freezing outside, but every year he and  Ellis went ice skating.

He'd practice shooting for the games of ice hockey that the boys played later on in the month and she'd sit and watch him after she got too tired to skate.

"Gilbert." Carter nodded. He had just come back from visiting Cole, so he was all wrapped up. He opened the door. "Nobody answered you?"

"Not yet." Gilbert chuckled.

"Ellis Carla! Gilbert is here." Ellis skidded into the kitchen and ran to the front door.

"I'm sorry, I was just getting ready." She said breathlessly. "Let's go."

"Ellie. Your coat." James pointed out as he rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. He had just woken up.

"Yes, thank you. I'll be back later. Don't burn the house down!" She shouted shutting the door and pulling on her coat.

Gilbert took off his scarf and wrapped it around her neck.

"You need to keep warm." He chuckled with a smile. His eyes flickered to her lips.

~

They arrived at the frozen over pond, Gilbert made sure to check it first before letting Ellis on it. Once he knew that it could hold both of their weights he grabbed her hands and pulled her onto the ice.

"Can you teach me how to play ice hockey, Gil?" She questioned her nose had turned red from the cold.

Gilbert chuckled and tapped it lightly.

"You really want to learn?" He questioned, letting go of her hand and skating circles backwards around her.

"Okay show off." She chuckled, although they did this every year, she still struggled with skating. "Yes I do. Come on Mr Blythe, show me your skills." She teased.

Gilbert skated over to grab his stick and rushed back to the girl who was trying to steady herself on the ice.

"Okay so you hold the stick like this." He showed her." One of his hands was on the top of the stick and the other was half way down. "You try." He smiled and handed it to her.

"Like this?" She questioned, but both of her hands were in completely different places.

Gilbert stood behind her, so she was leaning against him. His head rested in the crook of her neck. His hands linked with hers and moved her hands to the correct position to hold the hockey stick.

"Like that." He whispered. She turned to face him with a smile, but was in shock at how close they really were.

Their red noses touched, and their breaths mingled. His eyes glanced to her chapped pink lips. He could've kissed her, he wanted to kiss her.

Ellis couldn't take her eyes off his. His brown eyes with golden flecks. They were beautiful. But they were only focusing on her lips.