66

Carter walked into Ellis' room with Gilbert and James

Carter walked into Ellis' room with Gilbert and James. Ellis turned to look at them all with a big bright smile.

"Yes?" She questioned. Her smile fell, noticing all of their sad expressions.

Gilbert went to say something but he couldn't find the words to say that Mary had passed away in her sleep, with Bash by her side.

"No." Ellis' tried to muffle her tears by covering her mouth with her hand. Her knees buckled and she fell to the floor, tears streaming down her face. "No. No. No." She shook her head.

"Ellie." Carter walked over to the girl and wrapped his arms around her. Ellis clutched tightly onto his shirt. "Everything will be okay."

"The funeral is on Sunday." Gilbert announced sniffling. Gilbert walked over to Ellis and helped Carter lift her up on the bed.

"I wasn't there for her." Ellis cried turning to face Gilbert.

"You were there for her Ellis. You made her so happy constantly. She loved you Ellie." James said, placing his hands in his pocket.

~

"The lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pasture: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his names sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for though art with me; thy rod and the staff, they comfort me." The minister spoke as he looked at everyone at Mary's funeral.

Gilbert's arm was wrapped around Ellis waist, holding her up right as she cuddled into his chest. She hadn't cried since she had found out, in fact she hadn't even spoken.

"Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me, all the days of my life: and I will live in the house of the lord forever."