The Burrow

Harry POV

It's the night of my birthday, and I'm in Dudley's old room they gave me looking through the album Hagrid gave me before I had to leave Hogwarts. I smiled at the picture of my mum and dad when I was a baby, then flipped the page of me, Ron, Hermione, and Y/N. Then Hedwig rattled her cage, I turned to her chewing on the cage.

"I can't let you out Hedwig, I'm not allowed to use magic outside of school. Besides if Uncle Vernon-."

"Harry Potter!" I cringe looking to the door then back at her.

"Now you've done it." I get up closing the book, I walk downstairs into the kitchen, Aunt Petunia looks at me then nods to the lounge.

"He's in there, Vernon." I walk into the lounge to see him fixing Dudley's tie.

"I'm warning you, if you can't control that bloody bird, it'll have to go."

"But she's bored, if I could only let her out for, an hour or two." He laughs.

"What, so you can send secret messages to your freaky little friends, no sir." I frown.

"But I haven't had any messages, from any of my friends. Not one. All summer." He finishes and Dudley walks up to me.

"Who'd want to be friends with you?" He rams into my shoulder, I rub it, Uncle Vernon walks up to me.

"I should think you'd be a little more grateful, we've raised you since you were a baby, given you the food off our table, even let you have Dudley's second bedroom purely out of the goodness of our hearts."

"Not now pumpkin. It's for when the Masons arrive."

"Which should be any minute. Now, let's go over our schedule once again, shall we?" They all walk in. "Petunia, when the Masons arrive, you will be?"

"In the lounge, waiting to welcome them graciously to our home." She stands at the fireplace.

"Good. And Dudley you will be?"

"I'll be waiting to open the door."

"Excellent." They walk up to me. "And you?"

"I'll be in my bedroom, making no noise and pretending that I don't exist." He nods.

"Too right you will, with any luck this could well be the day I make the biggest deal in my career. And you will not mess it up." The doorbell rings and I go upstairs upset, I open my door and see a creature jumping on my bed, he stops and turns to me.

"Harry Potter, such an honor it is." He bows and I close my door.

"Who are you?"

"Dobby sir. Dobby the house-elf."

"Not to be rude or anything, but this isn't a great time for me to have a house-elf in my bedroom."

"Oh, oh yes sir, Dobby understands. It's just that, Dobby has come to tell you. It is difficult sir, Dobby wonders where to begin." I nod.

"Why don't you sit down?"

"S-s-sit down? S-s-sit down." He starts crying loudly and jumps down, I panic.

"Dobby, shush I'm sorry, I, I didn't mean to offend you or anything." He stops turning around.

"Offend Dobby. Dobby has heard of your greatness sir but never has he been asked to sit down by a wizard, like an equal." I smile.

"You can't have met many decent wizards then?"

"No, I haven't. That was an awful thing to say." He lowers his head and walks to my dresser banging his head on it. "Bad Dobby, bad Dobby bad, bad Dobby." I shake my hands and try to get him to stop.