Chapter 7 Redux: Rise & Fall

3rd Person POV:

Two weeks had passed since Cardin started blackmailing Jaune, who used fake transcripts in order to gain entry into Beacon Academy.

In the dorm room of Team JNPR, only three of the members are present as Pyrrha is sadly watching the night sky through the window, while Ren is seen preparing StormFlower as Nora with her usual hyperactive antics jumps on her bed.

Nora: How come Jaune gets home so late?

Ren: He's become rather scarce since he started fraternizing with Cardin.

Nora: That's weird... Doesn't he know we have a field trip tomorrow? We need our rest! (twirls in midair so her back hits the covers)

Pyrrha: (angrily) I'm sure our leader knows exactly what he's doing.

Nora and Ren exchange glances, not knowing that Jaune himself is looking in through the crack of the door.

Nora: Mmmm... I guess so.

Jaune hangs his head low and closes the door, just as a voice interrupts his thoughts.

Ruby: Hey, Jaune! (startled, Jaune turns around to see her in her pajamas, and she giggles at his reaction) Long time, no see! Did you lock yourself out again?

Jaune: Oh, uh, nope! (raises his Scroll, attempting to laugh) Got it!

Jaune: So, w-what are you doing out here?

Ruby: I'm waiting for Y/N.

Jaune: Why? Did something happen?

Ruby: She's been avoiding us lately. And since I'm both her leader and friend it's my responsibility to make sure my teammate is both safe and accounted for.

Jaune: Wow, it really seems like you have this whole "leader" stuff figured out. (downcast) Can't say I'm in the same boat.

Ruby: What are you talking about?

Jaune: I-I messed up. I did something I shouldn't have, and now Cardin has me on a leash, and Pyrrha won't even talk to me, and... (breathes heavily through his nose) I'm starting to think coming to this school was a bad idea. (presses his back to his team's door and slides down to the floor in depression) I'm a failure.

Ruby: Nope!

Jaune: (looking at her in surprise at her response) 'Nope?'

Ruby: Nope! You're a leader now, Jaune. You're not allowed to be a failure.

Jaune: But... what if I'm a failure at being a leader?

Ruby: (thinks about it for a moment, then gives her answer) Nope!

Jaune: (laughs as she joins him on the floor) You know, you're not the easiest person to talk to about this kind of stuff.

Ruby: Nope! (as Jaune leans into the door some more) Jaune, maybe you were a failure when you were a kid...(Jaune groans and sinks further down in his depression) ...and you might've even been a failure the first day we met! (causes him to once again groan and sink lower) But, you can't be one now. And you know why?

Jaune: Uhhh, because...?

Ruby: Because it's not just about you anymore. You've got a team now, Jaune. We both do! And if we fail, then we'll just be bringing them down with us. (stands up and places her hands on her hips as she speaks) We have to put our teammates first, and ourselves second. Your team deserves a great leader, Jaune. And I think that can be you.