The Hub (Part 1)

Skye's POV

"We need to talk," I looked over at Fitz. We were hanging out on one of the couches in the main cabin of the plane, waiting for Simmons to finish extracting some sort of intel from a Shield operative we had just gone to rescue in Siberia.

"Sure, what's up?" I asked him.

"I know." Well that wasn't vague at all!

"Know what?"

"Who you are!" I glanced over at Fitz, to see him staring at me with an excited gleam in his eyes.

"Well yeah, Fitz. We've been stuck on a plane for the last few weeks getting to know each other! I'd be hurt if you still didn't know me by now!"

"I - no, that's not what I meant! I mean, I know who you are!" He exclaimed. Where the hell was he going with this?!

"Yeah...we just went over that fact?" I said, tilting my head to the side in confusion.

"Oh my, I - I, well...what I'm trying to say is...I was thinking about how you jumped out of the plane to save Simmons the other day, and it finally dawned on me that you just jumped out without a parachute! Now, at first I didn't think much of it, but the more I thought about it, the more things started to make sense!" I frowned as Fitz rambled; a lump forming in my stomach as I anticipated his next words with dread.

"You're Angel! The girl who helped Mike Peterson save all those people! You have wings!" Fitz looked like a little kid in a candy store as he stared at me; well what I imagined one would look like, not having ever been to a candy store before...

I silently contemplated whether or not Fitz would fall for whatever excuse I could come up with, but as the seconds ticked by and I couldn't think of anything to explain how else Simmons and I would have survived a fall from that high without a parachute, I gave up; knowing that Fitz was smart enough to know if I was lying.

"My name is Skye, not Angel!" I finally said, crossing my arms and glaring at him. His grin widened as he bounced up and down on the couch. I could practically see the gears shifting in his brain as his mind raced with who knows how many crazy ideas. "Before you get too excited, I'm not using my powers right now, and I would really appreciate if you didn't tell anyone on the team about my wings! Coulson knows already, but I don't want anyone else to! Especially Simmons! Got that! You of all people should know what she's like...I refuse to be poked and prodded and treated like her latest pet project, alright! And the same goes for you! So, congratulations, you now know the truth - now forget it!" I grumbled. He frowned, opening his mouth to say something before changing his mind. He slowly nodded, and I sighed in relief.

"Okayyy, but only for now, and only because you're right about Simmons wanting to examine you - and I don't think that's a good idea. She's always been obsessed with new medical breakthroughs and your enhanced healing would send her down the path to becoming one of those crazed scientists - so I'll keep your secret for the time being, but I have so many questions! How do your wings work? Do they just appear? Does it hurt? Do you have super strength? How much weight can you lift -" He asked question after question, not bothering to stop and let me answer any of them. I smiled briefly at his enthusiasm and excitement, but I didn't like talking about my powers as it usually led to thoughts of Hydra.

Fortunately for me, Coulson stepped into the room and interrupted Fitz's long list of queries.

"Do you need me to analyze the data?" Fitz asked, turning to face Coulson.

"That won't be necessary," he replied.

"If it's encrypted, I can mine the chip for him," I added, standing up.