Meeting the Team

Lexi's POV

"We're about forty minutes out from base, ma'am," the Quinjet Pilot informed me. Ugh, as if Steve calling me ma'am wasn't bad enough...

I got up from my seat and walked over to Steve.

"So, this Doctor Banner was trying to replicate the serum that was used on me?" Steve asked me as I approached.

"A lot of people were. You were the world's first superhero. Banner thought gamma radiation might hold the key to unlocking Erskine's original formula," I told him.

"Didn't really go his way, did it?"

"Not so much. When he's not the Hulk though, guy's like a Stephen Hawking," I said, trying to defend the poor man.

Steve stared at me, confused.

"He's a smart guy," I explained trying to be as plain about it as I could. "I gotta, say, I have a friend who talks about you all the time. Has some sort of cards he keeps talking about getting you to sign for him. Think he's got a bit of a man-crush on you," I rambled. Steve stared at me blankly. "It's...nevermind," I said not wanting to try and explain the term.

"Well, I hope I'm the man for the job."

"Same here...I mean, not you, me. I hope I'm up to it as well," I commented.

"I'm sure you will be, Lexi. Can I ask you a personal question, though?"

"Of course," I replied.

"There's a file on every team member but you, why is that?"

"That's classified," I said, inwardly cursing myself for using the cliched response but also feeling a bit smug for finally getting a chance to use it. "It's nothing against you...it's just...very long and complicated and boring, all you really need to know is that I work for Shield and have powers that might come in handy," I added, feeling bad when I saw the look on Steve's face when I didn't answer him.

"Oh, Uh...I think someone said something about making some modifications to your uniform," I said as I remembered that tidbit of information in my attempt to change the subject.

"The uniform? Aren't the stars and stripes a little...old fashioned?"

"With everything that's happening, the things that are about to come to light, people might just need a little old fashioned. Besides, have you seen some of the things people wear these days?" I couldn't help thinking back to when I had first met Tony, Steve, Natasha, and Clint; I had become more accustomed to the suits; but they still took some getting used to.

The Quinjet finally landed on the Hellicarrier and I walked down the ramp with Steve, noticing Natasha standing not too far away. Shit, if anyone is going to realize it's me, it's Natasha...

"You must be Lexi," she greeted me. I nodded as Steve and Natasha greeted each other.

Natasha then lead us towards the railing of the ship where I noticed a nervous looking man that must be Bruce Banner; going by the picture I had seen in his file.

"Dr. Banner," Steve said as he strode over to the man and shook his hand.

"Oh, yeah. Hi. They told me you'd be coming," Bruce replied hesitantly.

"Word is you can find the cube," said Steve.

"Is that the only word on me?" Bruce asked.

"Only word I care about," Steve stated.

I saw Bruce glancing over at me and figured it was my turn to introduce myself.

"I can't believe I'm finally meeting you, I have so many questions!" I blurted out before I could stop myself. "Whoops, sorry, I'm Lexi; Agent Alexa, but just call me Lexi. I'm a huge fan; of your work I mean not the Big Guy - not that he isn't equally fascinating! Um, wow, I'm rambling," I closed my mouth as I bit my lip and tried to remember that Lexi was not supposed to be as socially awkward as I was acting right now. I'd been doing so well so far, what had changed all of a sudden? I mean, yeah, I was a fan of Dr. Banner, but not to the point of being incapable of normal speech!