t h i r t y

Melissa's POV

I stood to my feet and walked back into Kylan's nursery

I stood to my feet and walked back into Kylan's nursery. James was leaning over the crib caressing the baby's face as he drifted off to sleep. He stood up and turned around but slightly jumped when he saw me standing at the door. He chuckled then walked over towards me. "Damn girl. Make noise or something when you enter a room" he said with a small smirk on his face. I looked up into his eyes searching for an answer for what I had just seen. Could he have been using drugs and been high this whole time without me noticing? Could he be high right now? I shook my head and looked down in my hand. "What's wrong" he asked then looked down in the direction I was looking in. "Why do you have that" he voice sounded stern and rigid. His body shifted and he seemed to become agitated.

"I should be asking you that James. I found it in your suit jacket" I said lifting it up until it dangled in between our faces. He tried to grab it from me, but I quickly dodged his grip. "Give it here" he demanded, his voice both deep yet shaky. His hand wrapped tightly around my arm that was holding the drugs and snatched it from me. "What the fuck is your problem? Are you seriously using that shit" I yelled. Both of our heads snapped in the direction of Kylan once we heard soft whimpers. We remained silent for a few seconds before he fell back asleep then stepped outside of the nursery.

I stormed off into our room and he followed close behind me. "I'm not using drugs" he said through gritted teeth. Shutting my eyes and breathing deeply, I tried not to go off on this man. Not only is he probably lying, he brought this shit in the house where my son sleeps. "Then please explain to me what the fuck it's doing in your pocket" I said calmly. "Some girls brought it into the club, and I took it because I don't allow that shit. I guess I forgot to throw it away" he shrugged. Unconvinced by his answer but too tired to keep arguing, I shook my head and waved him off. "If you are using, tell me now" I said looking into his eyes. He shook his head and sat at the edge of the bed.

He pulled me in between his legs and took my hands into his. His thumbs softly rubbed the back of my hands as he looked up at me. "I am not on drugs ok. I wouldn't do that to my family" he said. He spoke so sincerely but in the back of my mind, I knew something felt different. But I chose to take his word for it and nodded my head. "You believe me right" he said looking anxious to hear my answer. "Yea James. I believe you" I said quietly. He smiled and poked out his lips for me to kiss. I chuckled and leaned down to kiss him.

___________________________________

I walked into Kylan's nursery and saw my baby boy wide eyed and squirming around in his crib. "Good morning mommy's handsome man" I said in my best baby voice. Kylan flashed his gums and cooed at me. I chuckled and picked him up then gently placed him on my chest. Walking over to the rocking chair, I sat down and pulled up my shirt to start feeding him. James was already at Truth, so it was just me and Ky today.

As I burped the baby then set him in his rocker, I heard the penthouse phone ring in my bedroom. I sighed and slowly stood up being careful not to disturb Kylan as I snuck out of the room. Once I reached the phone, I answered it. "Hello Mrs. Reynolds, you have a guest downstairs. May I let them up" the front desk manager asked. "May I ask who it is" I asked. The line went silent for a few seconds before he continued to say, "It is a Mrs. Geneva Reynolds, ma'am". I rolled my eyes and exhaled deeply. What the fuck is she doing here? She must be looking for James. "Uh.. send her up" I said. "Very well" he said and said goodbye.