f o r t y o n e

James' POV

I was awaken by the sound of my son crying from his nursery

I was awaken by the sound of my son crying from his nursery. My hands felt around the bed hoping to feel Mel lying beside me. Her side of the bed was cold and empty. Throwing my legs over the edge of the bed, I rubbed the sleep out of my eyes then stretched my body letting out a tired yawn. I shuffled toward my son's room and opened the door only to see him in Melissa's arms as she rocked him back and forth.

She sat down in the rocking chair and pulled her shirt down so she could start breastfeeding. "Morning" I said. Mel ignored me and continued to glide her hands over our son's curls. Shrugging my shoulders, I walked back into our room heading for the bathroom to take care of my hygiene.

Shortly after I finished my shower, Mel walked into the bathroom to wash her face and brush her teeth. I grabbed my towel and wrapped it around my waist then stood next to her while looking at her through the mirror. "So we doing this "ignoring James because I'm mad" shit again" I asked calmly.

She was ignoring me on purpose since I wouldn't give her what she wanted. This was one thing that bothered me about her. Maybe it was our age difference, but I couldn't understand why she gets so upset when she doesn't get her way. That's how life works. We don't always get what we want.

I'll admit maybe I was wrong with how I spoke to her but everything I said was true. And sometimes, the truth hurts. Plus, she's being childish. The shit is really starting to piss me off. She finished handling her business then began to walk out. I grabbed ahold of her arm and she looked back at me with an irritated expression written on her beautiful face. "Hello... don't you hear me talking to you" I asked. She snatched back her arm and walked out of the bathroom. Grabbing the bridge of my nose, I exhaled deeply.

We both got dressed in silence. I would look over at her from time to time and hope we would catch eyes. But, we never did. She wouldn't look my way at all or even acknowledge my presence.

Losing my patience, I walked up on her standing only centimeters apart. She tried to walk around me, but I would block her. She huffed in frustration. "Move James" she spat. "She speaks" I said sarcastically with a chuckle. She rolled her eyes and looked up at me. "What" she yelled. "What the hell is your problem" I asked. Her eyes closed and she sighed deeply. "Nothing" she said still trying to get away from me.

I grabbed her arms and her body froze from fear. She looked in my eyes and I could tell she was terrified. I quickly let her go not wanting to scare her any further. At that moment, I could tell she still didn't fully trust that I was better and that I wouldn't hurt her. I caressed her cheek in my hand.

"I'm sorry baby. I wasn't trying to hurt you. I promise I will never hurt you like that again" I whispered then kissed her forehead. She nodded her head as a single tear streamed down her cheek. I grabbed both sides of her face and kissed the tear away then made my way to her full lips.