t h i r t y f o u r

James' POV

"Alright, everyone please go around in a circle and introduce yourselves and why you are here

"Alright, everyone please go around in a circle and introduce yourselves and why you are here. Let's start with you sir" the counselor said looking directly at me. I sighed and slightly rolled my eyes. Before I got here, it seemed like a good idea to come. I know I made this decision to get better for my family, but I couldn't help but feel like this was a waste of time. I mean, my drug habit wasn't that bad. It never interfered with my work life and that shit with Mel was a one-time thing.

The counselor coughed while still staring at me waiting for me to speak. "Uhm.. my name is James Reynolds, I am a nightclub owner here in New York. I have a fiancé and a 5 month old son named Kylan. I am here because I want to get better for my family" I spoke with a shrug. I rubbed my thighs as I waited for someone else to go. The person next to me began to speak but the counselor put up her hand stopping them. "It is very nice to meet you James. But you forgot to let us know why you are here" she said crossing her legs. I looked around confused as I thought I already said why I was here.

"I said I was here to get better for my family" irritation began to set in as I answered her. She looked down at her clipboard then back at me. "Here at Spring Gardens, we like to be as open and transparent as possible. We believe that this is the way towards recovery. We must face our shortcomings and be honest about them. Now, I ask again. Why are you here James" she asked.

My jaw clenched and I squeezed my fist in my lap. This lady was starting to piss me off. "I don't know what else you want me to say. I am here because I made a promise to my family to stop using" my voice grew louder and louder.

She looked back at me with no expression on her face. She continued to let me rant. "Are you ignorant or something? We are obviously here because we got hooked on some shit that is dangerous. We hired YOU to help US. Why do we have to do all this talking? I don't have time for this shit" I said angrily while folding my arms across my chest. She tapped her pen against the clipboard and looked at me like she was studying my reaction towards her. "Are you finished" she asked. I scoffed and got up from my seat then walked out slamming the door behind me.

Melissa's POV