f o r t y ( I )

Melissa's POV

I returned home and locked the door behind me

I returned home and locked the door behind me. Dropping my purse on the island, I put my dessert in the freezer. I sent a quick text to Troy letting him know that I made it home. I walked to the bedroom and stripped myself of my clothing and took a shower. Twenty minutes later, I dried off and lathered myself in my favorite vanilla lotion and threw on one of James' t-shirts for bed. I pulled my wet hair into a high messy bun and grabbed my planner from the night stand. As I opened the planner and skimmed through some notes for the week, I paused and stared at the word Friday for a moment. 

"Shit!" I cursed to myself. My hand traced the paper as I read over my note, 'James birthday/release'. Sighing, I quickly closed the planner and placed it back on my night stand. I walked into the kitchen and grabbed my dessert out of the freezer.

Grabbing a spoon, I walked back into the bedroom and began to dig into the blonde brownie drizzled with caramel and vanilla ice cream. My indulgence was interrupted with a facetime call from Troy. I rolled my eyes before answering, I honestly wasn't in the mood to talk knowing that Friday was all I could think about. "What's up?" Troy asked as he had the phone propped up, he was lying in bed with a black wife beater. 

"I see someone's enjoying the dessert" he said jokingly eyeing me as I stuffed my face. I waved my hand to the camera and continued eating, "So it's that good you can't talk to now? You could at least say thank you" Troy continued to joke. I mean, we just went out to eat. I thanked him already, damn. Finishing my spoonful, I wiped my mouth with a napkin and placed the dessert on my night stand, I adjusted myself in bed and set my phone on a pillow to get comfortable. "Thank you for the dessert, Troy" I said nonchalantly turning my focus to my television. 

"You good?" Troy questioned, I guess he noticed that I wasn't in the mood to talk. "Yeah... why?" I asked glancing at him. "I don't know, it just seems like I called at the wrong time." He admitted. "No, I'm just..." I stated, I picked my phone up and my dessert and walked into the kitchen to put the dessert back in the fridge, and discarded of my spoon. "Troy I'm just a little tired that's all" I lied. "It's okay. I felt it was a little impersonal to text back, so I just wanted to see your face, as proof" he laughed.

 "Well thanks for proving that I'm home safe" I said annoyed as I walked to the bedroom, turned off my light and snuggled under the covers. "You know I can't see you anymore right? It's dark" Troy asked trying to lighten the mood. I huffed a little and turned on the lamp that rested over the night stand.

 "Troy, what's up? I'm really tired" I admitted in a rushed tone. He could see the bright light behind me, "I was just gonna say that if you ever want to talk, I'm down to listen. But I'ma let you get some rest ma. I didn't mean to disturb you, I promise" Troy replied, looking defeated, but also puzzled as to why I was so snappy considering that we just had a good night. 

"Aight" I said turning the lamp off. "I'll talk to you later, I just really need some rest" I said before hanging up the phone.

I know that it wasn't right for me to act cold towards Troy, but something just didn't seem right to talk to him after looking through my planner. I know tonight was innocent, and I know he's just trying to be a good friend by checking on me, but knowing that James is coming home this upcoming week; I need to steer clear of Troy. The best thing for me to do is bury myself in work, and keep it moving.