t h i r t y t w o

James' POV

I looked at her solemn face as tears fled from her eyes

I looked at her solemn face as tears fled from her eyes. She just stared at me, waiting for an answer. I couldn't explain myself, I hit rock bottom. Who knows what would've happened to me had she not come home. "James, please say something" she said rubbing my face again. "What are you doing here?" I questioned looking back at her. She furrowed her brow in confusion, "What does it matter James? I'm here, what would've happened had I not come?" she snapped at me angrily. "Huh?" she asked me placing her forehead against mine. Staring in her eyes I felt myself losing it. I placed my arms around her waist as she straddled my lap. "Your eyes are so red" she whispered. "I know... I'm sorry baby" I said feeling choked up. We were interrupted by Kylan's cries from his room. "I'll get him, you stay here" she warned. "Don't get up James" she insisted as she got up and walked out of the room.

Ten minutes later, she came back in our room with Kylan in one arm and his bouncer in another. I wrapped the towel around me and placed the bouncer on the ground and took Kylan from her. I instantly felt a feeling of relief, repentance, and remorse. I loved my son so much and the only thing that I've ever wanted in life; I could've lost. I cradled him in my arms just admiring his innocence, what kind of father would I be if I continue to lead by example like this? "Daddy loves you so much son" I said to him. Running my fingers through his hair, Kylan cooed at the attention. "James, if you can keep Kylan busy for a few more minutes, I'll put him back in his bouncer while I run your bath" Mel called from the threshold of the bathroom. I looked back and smiled at her, "Alright mommy" I said, turning my attention back to my son. "I promise, I'll do better for you... the both of you" I said looking in his eyes as he just stared at me with wonder.

Melissa's POV

I walked into the bathroom while James bonded with Kylan for a moment

I walked into the bathroom while James bonded with Kylan for a moment. I grabbed some lavender scented bubble bath along with pink Himalayan salt to set by the claw foot bath tub. Sighing, I couldn't wrap my head around what would've happened had I not come home tonight. I know James isn't perfect, but Don is right, this man needs me and I can't be selfish and just take my child and leave him when he needs me the most. I was knocked out my thoughts by the cutest little laugh from Kylan. I walked out of the bathroom and found James tickling Kylan's feet on the bed.