Part 20

Juhi came down to the kitchen after changing into a V neck T-shirt and loose pyjamas.. She tied her hair into a bun.. She decided to make his favourite dishes. Butter chicken and naan along with Shahi paneer and kheer ...

She started her preparation when Shashank came down from his room.. The sight of 'his' Juhi, cooking in his kitchen, at his home , for him, warmed his heart...
He quietly walked towards her.. His aftershave fragrance made her aware of his presence.. She looked at him and smiled..
Shashank asked her what she was making.. So she gave him the details and he looked excited like a kid...
Shashank settled himself against the kitchen slab right next to where Juhi was kneading the atta..
" Why do I love this woman so much.. he wondered..

A strand of hair kept falling on her face and Juhi was unable to tuck it behind her hair since both her hands were soiled in flour .. She tried to push it back twice but in vain.. Shashank noticed this .. He bent close to her.. made her face him and gently brushed a stray lock of hair off her cheek and tucked it behind her ear.. His finger brushing across her cheek seemed to trail fire.. Juhi felt a surge of heat and knew that the colour had begun to bloom in her cheeks ..
He realised they had moved close to each other that they could feel each other's breath .. Coming out of trance Shashank cleared his throat and told her that he would set the table for dinner.. and walked away..
Juhi let out a deep breath and composed herself.. How their equation had changed in a day , she blushed ..

Dinner was ready.. Juhi served for both of them.. Shashank looked like a small kid excited to attack his favourite dishes...
She felt good cooking for him.. Both of them enjoyed their dinner, chit chatting, smiling, pulling each other's leg, blushing ..... the list was endless
After dinner Juhi went about clearing the table .. Shashank helped her.. While she was almost done, Shashank walked upto the balcony and stood there with his hands tucked into his track pants pocket, gazing at the dark blue sky .. He closed his eyes and took in a lung full of air..
For the first time in his life he failed to understand his own feelings..
For the first time , he felt so helpless...
For the first time, he wanted to think only about himself.. his happiness
For the first time, he wanted to be loved and nothing else ...
And, For the first time, he wanted to hold on to his love and never let her go...
But all he could do was stand and gaze at the dark sky which was dark and uncertain just like his life...

Juhi noticed Shashank standing in the balcony lost in thoughts.. After she was done , she slowly walked towards him and stood beside him.. He didn't look at her but continued staring into the dark sky .. She asked him if he was ok..
He didn't reply.. After a brief silence he spoke  "You know Juhi.. Life is so strange.. I always wanted to confess my feelings for you, and I did..
I wanted you to confess your feelings for me, and you did..
Now that is done but there is no road ahead for us.. Juhi..
I only wish I would have confessed my feelings for you before you left Sanjivani after your residency program., But .. such is life
Destiny had different plans.. and here we are years later at a crossroad ..one path leads to despair and the other to destruction... "

With emotions running high into both of them, Juhi tucked her arm into his arm and rested her head on the nook of his arm

Their silence spoke of million words.. He untangled his arm and put his arm over her shoulder and pulled her into a side hug..
their hearts entwined, both of them stood gazing at the dark blue sky .....
Despite the emotional storm within them, both felt at home in each other's arms....

😊😊