Part 42

A knock on the door brought Juhi out of her deep trance... Still sitting down against the bathroom door with the strip in her hand, she felt hollow in her heart... Repeated knock on the door made her stand up, putting back the strip into her kurta pocket, she splashed cold water on her face... Wiping her face dry she walked out and opened the door ...
A worried Nurse Philo was at the door..
"Doctor, are you all right..." she asked
" Yes Sis. Philo , I was in the washroom...." she replied
" Dr Juhi, there has been fluctuations in the blood pressure of Dr Shashank... I thought you must see him...." she said
Nodding her head Juhi replied " I ll be there in a minute ..."
Walking back to her chair, she gulped some water... it all felt like a dream to her... Her feet refused to move... How was she going to face him now.... How would she tell him once he regains his consciousness.... How would Anjali react if she got to know about her pregnancy... And what about Rahul.... She felt her head exploding...
" I can't handle this alone ... I need you Dr Shashank.. I need you back soon...." she whispered wiping the tears off her face..

Picking up her stethoscope from the table, she walked to the ICU...As she neared his bed, she felt nervous for the first time... Her hands trembled as she checked his blood pressure...
Anjali and Sis. Philo who stood beside her were shocked to see Juhi's hands trembling..
" Dr Juhi, Why are your hands trembling..." Anjali held her shoulder...
" I'm just very tired..Anjali.. I need to rest..." she lied again although Sis Philo didn't look convinced with her answer..
With her trembling hands she managed to pick up the case sheet and prescribed the injections to be given...
Sure that the anaesthetic effect must have worn off, she looked worried and restless that he had not gained consciousness yet... There was so much to tell him..
"Why hasn't dad regained consciousness yet, Dr Juhi... I'm worried ..." Anjali's voice choked
"I'm hoping he will soon, Anjali...
I'm sure he will be fine..." Juhi replied with a faint smile..
"You must rest now doctor, before you collapse.." Sis Philo spoke who knew something was just not right with her..
" I will stay right here and monitor Dr Shashank and keep you both posted time to time... Please go and take rest..."
Nodding her head in agreement, Juhi walked out..

Closing the blinds of her cabin window, Juhi sat on her chair and put down her head on the table... The helplessness and loneliness she felt right now was different...Never in her life she felt that way... Her world turned upside down and she is clueless how to turn it upright...
Her head hammered... She lifted her head up and held it between both her hands.. Opening the drawer she pulled out a strip of pain killer... Just before popping out the tablet from the strip, she realised her state...
Letting out a deep sigh she dropped the pain killer back into the drawer and picked up a paracetamol tablet instead...
Popping in the tablet she decided to take a short nap resting her head back on the table ...

Two hours later she woke up with a jolt... It took her a few seconds to realise where she was....
Checking the time on her wrist watch she realised she had slept for two hours clueless about her surroundings...
She went to the wash room and splashed cold water on her face.. Making herself look presentable she rushed out of her cabin to the ICU...
There he lay motionless just like the way she had left him two hours ago...
Sis Philo briefed her that his blood pressure had stabilised now but there was no signs of consciousness...
With the first twenty four hours being very crucial , slowly a different kind of fear began to set in...
Relieving Sis Philo , Juhi sat on the stool beside the bed where Shashank lay... She held his hand in between hers and kissed his hand gently ... " I have something very special to tell you , Dr. Shashank... Please open your eyes ...Please talk to me... I need you more than I ever needed you..." she wept..

Anjali who walked inside the ICU to check on her dad, was moved by seeing Juhi's plight... She stood beside Juhi, placing a hand over her shoulders and consoled her saying "Relax Dr Juhi... Dad will come back soon... I trust you.."
A few minutes later after composing herself , Juhi remembered she had an important task to do..
Excusing herself while Anjali decided to spend some time with her dad, Juhi walked towards the Clinical Laboratory..
Sneha , the lab technician who adored and worshipped Juhi was surprised to see Juhi at her desk...
"What a pleasant surprise Dr Juhi..." she exclaimed ... " I'm sure Dr Shashank will be up very soon cause the best hands have treated him... Don't worry ..." she smiled
Juhi acknowledged her with another faint smile..
"I need your help, Sneha.." Juhi spoke out
"Anything for you Dr Juhi..." she beamed
" I need to get a blood check done... I think I'm pregnant..."
"Oh my god I'm so happy for you..." Sneha jumped with joy and hugged her...
"Sneha , listen to me first..." Juhi said breaking the hug... " I want this to be absolutely confidential... I don't want anyone at the hospital knowing about it...please.."
Breaking the eye contact and looking down further she continued " If the result comes positive , I want to first break this news to my husband and then we will decide when to let everyone know..." she stammered
" That's absolutely fine Dr Juhi... I'm more than happy to be of some help to you... Please come..." Sneha said ..
Collecting the sample, Sneha told her that she would call her once the report is ready ..
Thanking her, Juhi walked back to her cabin
She decided to go home and freshen up ... Informing Anjali about the same , she left with Shashank's driver to his home...