Part 40

"Rahul" Juhi repeated again to bring Shashank's attention towards the door.. Shashank was equally stunned to see Rahul standing at the entrance... His feet refused to move while Juhi walked away from him towards Rahul.
"Hi Rahul... What a surprise... I wasn't expecting you here..." Juhi stammered trying to hide her nervousness..
"Well... is it a pleasant or unpleasant surprise... you tell me first.." he grinned
Juhi tried to fake a smile saying "yes it is a pleasant surprise.." chewing on the last two words
"Well, I have an investors meet tomorrow here at Pune.. so I thought I could spend sometime with you while I'm here... and you also mentioned you would be coming back home only next week... so ..." his voice trailed looking at the blank look on her face
"Aren't you happy seeing me here Juhi.." he questioned her
"Nothing like that Rahul.. It's just that I wasn't expecting this kind of a surprise...." she faked a smile again

Meanwhile Shashank ended up chatting with an old colleague, while his eyes and ears remained fixed towards the entrance..
Rahul looked up and acknowledged Shashank with a smile... and walked towards him followed by Juhi..
Shashank excused himself from his colleague and walked towards them...
"Hello Rahul... Indeed a pleasant surprise..." Shashank said
"Hello Dr Shashank... Pleasure is all mine.." he replied
"All good sir..." he asked Shashank
Shashank nodded his head and acknowledged with a "Thank you"
"I must say that was a very stunning dance by the both of you, Dr Shashank... and Juhi, you are looking gorgeous in this saree.." he further added
Words froze in their mouth.. Juhi turned crimson red while Shashank also felt the heat.. There was an awkward silence..
Shashank tried to ease out the awkwardness"Now that you are here with us this evening, please join us for dinner, Rahul..." he said

With a big smile plastered on his face, Rahul replied " Thank you Dr Shashank.. but I plan to take Juhi out for dinner tonight once she is done here.." looking at Juhi..
Juhi was stunned .... and so was Shashank..
She did not utter a word...
Shashank felt suffocated.... Briefing a nod he said.. "Please enjoy your evening while you are here..." he ended their conversation formally excusing himself and walked away
Pulling out his bow tie he shoved it into his coat pocket... Unbuttoning the first two buttons of his shirt he walked towards the bar section.. he needed a drink...

Anjali who was standing at a distance having a candid conversation with her bestie noticed all the drama that had unfolded post the dance performance...
Excusing herself she walked towards her dad who was standing near the makeshift bar counter with a glass of whiskey in his hand...
Shashank acknowledged Anjali's presence with a smile... " Is that Rahul..." she asked him
Shashank nodded his head
Both father and daughter's eyes were fixed towards the door where Juhi stood along with Rahul without a single word being spoken....

On the other side, Juhi decided to leave with Rahul... She knew how awkward it was for both Shashank and her with Rahul around...
"Rahul, I ll just be back in a minute..." She said and walked towards Shashank and Anjali...
"Dr Shashank" he looked up at her when she called out his name... "I'm leaving with Rahul... I will be back later tonight...and..... I will be fine ...." she said
Shashank nodded his head since words failed to come out of his mouth...
Both refused to look into each other's eyes...
Anjali stood as a mute spectator with a glass of wine in her hand... She acknowledged back Juhi with a smile as Juhi bid her bye and walked away....

Shashank gulped the remaining amber liquid at one go while Anjali stood clueless sipping her wine..
Placing her empty glass on the counter, she tucked her arm around Shashank's and said "May I have the pleasure of dining with the most handsome man in this room..."
Shashank blushed... For that moment he chose to forget everything that was hurting him... "Pleasure is all mine, beautiful lady.." he smiled and walked arm in arm with his daughter towards the dining area ..

As they drove towards Hotel Conrad where Rahul was staying, Juhi sat in absolute silence looking outside the window... She hated such surprises.. Seated beside her in the backseat of the car, Rahul noticed that she hadn't uttered a single word ever since she left the banquet hall...
Moreover the proximity Shashank and Juhi shared while dancing was bothering him at the corner of his mind although he tried to shrug aside the thought telling himself they were just associates and good friends...
" Juhi.. what happened... why are you so quiet... is something bothering you... aren't you happy to come along with me...." he questioned her
Letting out a deep breath she answered " it's just that I am extremely tired... both physically and mentally ..." looking down at her entwined hands
Neither of them spoke again till they reached their destination
Rahul opened the car door for her and held out his hand... hesitantly she placed her hand in his and alighted from the car.. They walked towards the table reserved for them...