Part 36

Time froze..
The World stood still ..
Juhi was so shocked that even tears that brimmed her eyes failed to roll down her cheeks...
"Why didn't Dr Shashank tell me about it..
Why did he hide such a big thing... I'm sure even Anjali isn't aware of this ....
So this is why he decided to distance himself from everyone... from me... from our love..
Why Dr Shashank... why..?? She sobbed...

Wiping the tears off her cheek she told herself " No matter what you have decided , I am not giving up on you so easily, Dr Shashank.. We will fight this together.."
She checked the scans once again... She noticed the tumour was in the initial stages,
So it could be and should be treated at the earliest..
Closing the laptop, she walked to Anjali's room.. She knocked and entered her room..
Anjali was seated on her bed working on her laptop...
" Is everything alright Dr Juhi..." she asked
" Yes Anjali I'm fine... she paused
Anjali I need to know where has Dr Shashank gone right now ..."
Anjali looked stunned since it was 4 days since Shashank had left and Juhi had not asked a word about his whereabouts... and now all of a sudden in the middle of the night she wanted details...
" I'm sorry Dr Juhi, but I had to promise dad that I won't disclose it to anyone including you..." Anjali replied
" Anjali, it is really important for me to know where he is right now... It is for his good and our good... I have no other intentions other than his well being... please Anjali I really need to know right now ..." she pleaded
From the look on Juhi's face and the determination in her eyes , Anjali knew something was not right ..
" Is something wrong Dr Juhi..." she stammered
"Anjali I will tell you everything but not now..
please tell me where is Dr Shashank..." she pleaded
Anjali was confused ... she didn't want to break her promise..but from Juhi's reaction she understood its okay to break a promise...
Taking in a deep breath she replied...
" Dad is in Panchgani .. He is staying there at his friends guest house.."
Juhi was in a way relieved that Shashank had not gone out of the country..
She thanked Anjali and rushed out of her room leaving behind a utterly confused Anjali ...

Juhi walked to her balcony .. she was breathless... she wanted to scream her lungs out and cry.. she felt vulnerable...
" Why him God... why him..." she cried
After crying her heart out, she made up her mind....

The next morning Juhi walked from her room carrying a Duffle bag...
Anjali who was having breakfast was surprised seeing her..
" Are you going somewhere Dr Juhi.." she questioned
"Yes.. I'm leaving for Panchgani and will be back tomorrow..." Juhi replied
"Dr Juhi.. today is just the third day of the conference and your presence is essential here... Meeting dad can wait for another two days Dr Juhi ... I hope you understand..." said Anjali who was angered by Juhi's decision...
" Anjali  I'm sure the conference will go on smoothly.. i have spoken to Dr Mehta and Dr Ranganath already and have made necessary arrangements...
Don't worry about that... but it is necessary for me to go there right now..." said a determined Juhi
" Dr Juhi you are scaring me... Please tell me what is wrong... All of a sudden you want to go there..." Anjali asked
" I will tell you everything that you need to know Anjali once I come back... Please hold on till then... Don't make things even more difficult for me.." she pleaded..
Still not convinced, Anjali agreed half heartedly and told her to keep her posted..
Juhi had booked a cab... The cab arrived and Juhi bid Anjali good bye and walked out...

As the car sped through the outskirts of Pune, Juhi sat wondering how she would face Shashank and how she would confront him... She realised how she mistook his silence and hurt him in return... It's going to be a long day... she thought
After two and half hour drive she reached her destination.. she was awed by the beautiful view of mountains, valleys and lakes... the cool mountain air refreshed her... she felt calm..
The cab stopped outside the gate of the guest house.. After paying the driver, Juhi picked up her bag and walked inside the gate.. The watchman at the gate enquired.. she told him she was her to meet the guest.. He smiled and pointed out to the cottage in front of them.. She thanked him and walked towards the cottage with her duffle bag on her shoulder..
Once she neared the door, she took in a lung full of air and rang the doorbell..
It took about half a minute when the door clicked open from inside...
Shashank froze the moment he opened the door... He actually thought he was dreaming...
Juhi stood with a faint smile on her face..
"Hello Dr Shashank.." she smiled
"Juhi.... what are you doing here..." He started sweating...
"Are you going to make me stand here at the door and interrogate or can I come inside and tell you why I am here.." she asked
Wiping the sweat off his forehead he said
"Oh I'm sorry ... Come inside.." and allowed her to walk in .. he closed the door and walked behind her..
His friend Deepak who was seated in the living room was pleasantly surprised to see that Shashank had a visitor ..
Juhi was also surprised to see that Shashank had a guest...
Shashank walked and stood beside Juhi and introduced her to Deepak
"Deepak, this is Dr Juhi.. my associate and a friend..."
" And Juhi this is my childhood friend , Col.Deepak.. and the owner of this beautiful place.."
Juhi held her hand forward and shook hands with Deepak who stood up to greet her..
" Pleasure meeting you Colonel.." she said
"Pleasure is all mine Dr Juhi .." he brimmed..
Deepak looked back at Shashank and asked him "Shashank you didn't tell me about Dr Juhi's visit.."
Shashank looked perplexed.. Even before he could answer , Juhi replied saying " Actually Colonel, it was a surprise visit.. I was here for some work which I wound up early hence I thought I ll catch up with Dr Shashank..." she lied
Shashank also  knew she was lying .. but nodded his head in agreement..
Cutting in further conversation, Shashank spoke "Juhi, why don't you go and freshen up .." She nodded her head and he pointed towards the room at the right..
Juhi excused herself and walked into the room...