21: Infertility

Quirk: Hydrokinesis

 Since I was young I always dreamt of having a girl and two small twin boys, with a husband that cared and loved us all so much, protecting us bravely from any problem we may face. We would all live in a big house on the outskirts of a big city so we had the countryside garden but we were still able to get into the city quickly. The children would have a playroom full of toys, and we'd all squeeze onto one sofa ready to watch television in the evenings. On sunny days we'd sit outside, my husband and I cuddling on our bench swing whilst the three children ran around playing tag or hide and seek. Two steps to achieving this beautiful dream had come true, I found myself the perfect husband named Shoto Todoroki who cared deeply for me and who I was crazy about, as well as having a beautiful Japanese style house with a large garden. The only thing missing were the children.

We had been trying to get pregnant now for over a year and a half. Neither of us wanted to be the first to suggest us going to the doctors as we both were trying to remain optimistic at the thought of us being able to start a family. We were intimate with each other almost every day, and we hadn't been using protection for over a year, so together we finally agreed we had to go see someone, hoping that the thoughts going through our minds were only mere worries.

"Mr and Mrs Todoroki, Doctor Kayano is in room 24," the receptionist at our local clinic said, letting us straight through to our private doctor. We tightly gripping each others hands as we walked silently down the corridor to our assigned room. The Doctor was waiting outside, and she politely opened the door and let us in with a kind smile.

"Please take a seat," she said, gesturing the two in front of her desk. "So as I understand it, you're trying to get pregnant, is that correct?" She asked and I nodded my head, feeling my throat turn dry. "How long have you been trying?"

"A year and a half now," Shoto said and she nodded, jotting notes down straight away.

"Is that when you stopped using contraceptives?" She asked and we both nodded. "What were you using?"

"T-the pill and condoms," I mumbled.

"And your monthly cycle was fine?" She asked and I nodded. "Okay... I understand these are quite personal questions and it can get a little uncomfortable talking about it so please take your time. How often do you have intercourse?"

"A-almost every day," I said, my voice wavering slightly.

"Do either of you smoke, drink or take drugs?" She asked and we both shook our heads. "Thought that was unlikely, given the fact you're both Pro Heroes. Have you been tested for STI's?"

"Yes and we've both not got anything," Shoto said and she nodded.

"Okay, so there's no sign of STI's, you've been trying for a year and a half and sexual intercourse is performed every other day on average, is that correct?" She double checked and the pair of us nodded. She sighed, and Shoto and I exchanged nervous glances. "We're going to need you both to have some tests done if you would. We'll need another Chlamydia Test from each of you, Mr Todoroki we'd need to have a semen sample from you to do an analysis and Mrs Todoroki, we'd need to do a blood test, an X-Ray and Laparoscopy if you will allow us."

"A-are these tests to see if we can have children or not?" I asked, my voice hollow. She nodded, smiling sadly. Shoto put his arm around my shoulders and brought me into his hold, kissing the top of my head delicately. "W-why might we not be able to?"

"There are a few reasons, there can be a lack of regular ovulation, cervical mucus problems, or the sperm may be weak or not moving properly. Unfortunately twenty-five percent of infertility cases go unexplained..."