Chapter 17

Today was the day

Today was the day. Today was the day that Jim Gordon would be joining Blair and her ragtag group of maniacs for dinner. Yet, she still hadn't talked to Jason about it. She had been so busy helping Alfred around the house to settle the restlessness she felt at being kicked off patrol that she didn't have time to talk to Jason. It also didn't help that any time he walked into a room, she walked out.

Sucking up her pride, Blair walked out of her room, planning on knocking on Jason's door and warning him there. However, the door was wide open, Jason sprawled out on the bed listening to music with earbuds, eyes closed.

As if he sensed her presence, he opened an eye and took out one earbud before closing his eyes again, "May I help you?"

"My uncle is coming for dinner tonight." Blair started, playing with her fingers.

"What does that have to do with you being in my room?" Jason sighed, pausing his music and sitting up.

"You didn't have to—" Blair stopped herself, trying to get back on track. "Look, he's the commissioner and I know you have strong opinions about the police, opinions that could really ruin dinner."

Jason nodded, "So what are you asking me?"

"I'm asking you to please try to hold back. My uncle, he's the best person I know and he's tried to clean up the force the best he can—"

"Fine. I'll be quiet." Jason cut her off, not really wanting to get a lecture on how to behave at dinner.

Blair stopped, looking at him in disbelief, "Really? That's all you have to say about it? No snarky remarks or anything?"

"Nope." He replied, popping his lips on the "p".

"Okay then, I'm going to go get ready for dinner." Blair nodded, seeing that she wasn't going to get anymore out of him.

She was almost out the door when Jason spoke again, "Wait, Blair are you— how are you doing being off patrol?"

Blair froze at the door, not really sure what to say. Of all the things she thought Jason would say to her whenever they finally talked again, him asking about her wellbeing was not one of them. However, she wasn't about to tell him the truth, "I've been off patrol before. I can handle it."

Jason narrowed his eyes, thinking back of all the times he heard her waking up in the middle of the night, walking through the mansion, turning her music off and on. He'd even seen her running around the courtyard at three in the morning. If that's what she wanted to call "handling it", then he wasn't going to argue with her. That's what had gotten them in this position in the first place, "Fine, I'll see you at dinner."

"Yup." Blair replied, lips popping on the "p" like he had done previously, walking out of the room.

Jason hid a smile at the similar gesture, realizing that some of his habits were starting to rub off on the girl across the hall. Maybe there was some hope after all.