41. Unveiling mysteries

"chukki, I swear.. come out this instance" Nush screamed banging on the bathroom door..

"jeez woman, are you planning to bring the house down?" Ahaana opened the door coming out, towel drying her hair..

"yeah I would have to, because some useless prat over here just forgot that its her mehendi function tonight.."

"oh crap.. it is.." Ahaana fake-facepalmed putting on a I-just-realized-face.." but you still love me" she beamed walking over to the bed where her dress for the night has been laid on..

"holy moly cow.." Ahaana's mouth hung open on seeing the heavily embroidered apple green and silver lehenga choli lying on the bed..

"I cant wear this and Im not wearing and that's final.." she said in a dramatic tone of defiance looking at Nush..

"might as well go in this.." she rolled her eyes pointing at the tee and track pants which Ahaana was in.. "trust on you to pull this act,wear that already, its getting late chukki" she urged stealing glances at the clock..

"but Nush.. how can I stay all night in this with the mehendi in my legs and hands with the Typical desi aunties coming and straing at me like im some dummy on exhibit.." she wailed clearly annoyed..

"I know kiddo.. "nush smiled.. " let me define " desi traditions"" she air quoted the word giggling.. Have gone through all these years ago, she knew exactly how Ahaana was feeling..

"chup chup.. now get out and lemme change.. and don't go roaming again.. I clearly have no idea how this thing works too" she said sending nervous glances on the dress..

Nush laughed out loud.. "you might have had some if you dressed up properly as a girl" Ahaana frowned.. her best friend was totally enjoying her unease.. "sadist.." she muttered pushing her out, and slamming the door in her face..

A few moment later.. the room door opened and Ahaana peeped out, the nervous look now almost permanently etched on her face, searching the hallway adjacent to the room, which was packed with relatives from her side, searching for Nush..

As the mehendi function has to be done by the bride's side, they have rented a house nearby Shezaad's for a month and has prepared it to suit the occasion.. just 2 days before her realtions had started to arrive and now the house resembled the typical desi wedding houses with fairy lights adorning the entrance and the smell of different types of dosi and paint engulfing them in a enchanting fragrance..

smiling at all the faces in the hall, her eyes finaaly found the culprit sitting on a couch and munching some goodies, chatting with her cousins..

she tried to calling Nush without attracting the attention of her teenage cousins but no, that duffer was too involved that she even forgot that she was supposed to help the bride..

after many a futile attempts, Nush finally lifted her head to meet Ahaana's eyes and slowly came up to the door while Ahaana pulled her inside and slammed the door shut...

"what were you think you were doing instead of helping me?" she asked infuriated and clearly annoyed..

"enjoying my best friend's wedding.. she replied popping fried goodies in to her mouth.." she replies nonchalantly..

"help me zip this up nush.. and the hell am I wearing it right?, and what am I to do with such a long dupatta.." she muttered looking self consciously at the heavy weight hugging her petite figure..

"woaaaah" Nush exclaimed scrutinizing Ahaana from head to toe.. " you look okay.." she clicked her tongue carelessly..

"all that whoa and you say I look just okay?" Ahaana exclaimed back..