Chapt. 16: You Can Count On That! Protective Kakashi

~Akina's P.O.V.~ 

After the procedures, I was thrown back into my cell. The medics had chained me back up before they had left. How long did the testing go this time? Probably over an hour. My body is so sore... 

As my breathing continues to my shaky, the burns and scars begin to heal. After my body is done healing, I sit up against the wall and hug my knees. Now all I have to do is wait until these exams are over. I wonder how long it's going to take. 

"Akina..." This is new. Who's here? 

I look up from my knees and see Kakashi. "Kakashi? This is the first. What are you doing here?" I question him. The look on his face shows sadness. "What's the matter with you?" 

"How long, Akina?.... How long has these treatments been going on for?" His voice is struggling. He's never showed this kind of concern for me. 

"Why do you want to know all the sudden? It has nothing to do with you." I glare at him, but he's not glaring back like he always does. What's going on? "This happens all the time whenever I am scheduled for testing... It's nothing new. I'm just never use to it... So...every time, I guess." I answer. 

"I had no idea..." He frowns while hanging his head. 

"Why is this a surprise to you? You've heard the rumors about me, and you've seen the way everyone acts the moment they lay their eyes on me." 

"I've seen it, Akina. Your sudden change in your behavior, and you crying at night when you're looking out the window. You don't sleep at all because you have these nightmares and I know how much having these procedures hurt you." 

"You don't know the meaning of 'hurt' when it comes to these procedures. Don't say it like you've been through it." I glare at him again. He doesn't know what he's talking about. "Get out. You can't be down here." 

"This is wrong, Akina. Lord Hokage can't treat you like this. It could end up killing you." 

"Now you want to care? This has been going on for years and here I am, still living. It doesn't matter what you say to the old man. He 'knows' what's best for me." I snap and turn my head away. "Just go away. I'm done talking." 

"No." I hear the sound of keys and the lock to the cell door clicking. Kakashi opened the cell door and walks over to me, and unlocks the shackles around my wrist, and the shackle around my neck. 

"What are you doing!?" I shout at him. Kakashi didn't answer me. Instead, he picks me up, bridal style, and walks out of the basement. "Are you mad? You're going to get in trouble, and I'm going to be blamed for it! Put me down!" 

"No." His voice is now deep and serious. 

"What do you think you're doing, Kakashi?" The old man stops us in the middle of the hallway and with ANBU behind him. "She's not suppose to be out of her cell." 

"This is going to stop. I'm not going to allow this treatment to continue any further." Kakashi glares at the old man. 

"You don't know what you're doing. Those treatments are to keep her stable and discipline." 

"It's hurting her." 

"She will heal. Do not make me tell you again, Kakashi. She must be placed back in that cell." 

"I'm sorry, Lord Hokage, but that isn't going to happen. She is assigned on my squad, which makes her my responsibility." 

"Do you think you have what it takes to keep her in check? She is a monster." My hair shades my eyes when the old man calls me that.... A monster... I've heard that name too many times, and I don't need to be reminded of what I am. 

"She is my student." Kakashi says this while holding me closer, causing me to lift my head up and look at him. "I will keep her in check like I have been. Isn't that why you assigned her to me in the first place?" 

There was a long pause between Kakashi and the old man before the old man sighed in defeat. "Very well. If you think you have what it takes to control her, then so be it. However, if she acts out of line, even once, she goes back in the cell." With that said, the old man and the ANBU leave. 

I look back at Kakashi as he says, "Let's go." He takes me back to his apartment where I am fed and showered. It wasn't going to be another 2 days for the genin to get finished with the 2nd part of the exams. So, I took this time to relax. 

This was the first time in years since somebody has stood up for me like that. Why did Kakashi do all of that? He doesn't mean it, does he? He has to be joking. I bet he was being set up to do all of this. 

"Are you okay, Akina?" Kakashi asks me as he sits across from me near the coffee table, snapping me out of my thoughts. 

"Did you really mean what you said to the old man? Was all of that stuff true?" I ask with a deadly glare. 

"Yes. Every word of it." He answers, nodding his head. "You are assigned on my squad, which makes you my responsibility. I've said this before, didn't I?" 

"Yeah, but I didn't think you would actually mean it." I turn my head away. 

"I'm always going to be honest with you, Akina. You can count on that." Kakashi gives me a closed eye smile, making me puff my cheeks. He's so strange for a Jounin and a Sensei. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~