Chapt. 41: The Burning Line

I returned to the hideout after my encounter with the Akatsuki members, Kakuzu and Hidan. I'm not sure if they were following me or not, but I don't think that they would. 

When I returned to the hideout, I informed Orochimaru and told him that one of their hideouts had been destroyed. The current hideout I had discovered was empty. As I told him this, I notice that the body he was using was rotting away. 

He's not going to last long for much longer. He's going to need a new body, and soon. But who would be the next candidate for Orochimaru's new body? I can't give him my chakra because it wouldn't be enough, and I don't think he will handle it. 

"Thanks for the information. Be a dear and go check on Sasuke, will you? He's been in the training room again. He's been in there for hours." Kabuto instructs me. 

I nod my head and go to the training room where I find Sasuke kneeling with targets all around. Again with target practice. I don't know whether to interrupt or watch. 

"I know you're there, Akina." Sasuke speaks up and opens his eyes. I wasn't hiding. "What do you want?" He gives me a cold glare as he stands up. 

"Kabuto asked me to check on you. I'm going to my room." I walk away to go to my bedroom, but, Sasuke stops me. 

"Wait." 

"What is it?" I turn to the doorway. 

"I want you to train with me since Orochimaru is busy." 

"I've been out all day, and I've already taken enough chakra. Yours will be a waste of my time." I go to leave again, but Sasuke stops me.  

"I said, wait." He is closer. I turn my head over my shoulder and see Sasuke's chest facing my back. 

"Do you really want to fight?" I glare. "You know what happens when I come in contact with you." I reach up to touch his face, but he grabs my wrist and uses his chidori. But, it has no effect on me. Did he forget that I can absorb chakra? Therefore, his jutsu has no effect on me. The only thing it's doing to my body is tickling me. "Sharingan doesn't work either." I add when Sasuke's sharingan is activated. "Stop wasting my time. I told you, I've been out all day. Let go." I jerk my wrist back and walk off. 

Sasuke has been persistent to fight me ever since we left the old hideout. Personally, I don't think he's ready to face me. What I need right now is rest. 

When I go to my room, I close the door behind me and sit on the bed with my knees up to my chest. In my room, it is quiet and a candle is lit so that some light shines. I'm so alone right now... 

How long do I have to keep this up? 

How much chakra so I have to consume in order to become human? 

My form is increasing. 

"Hah..." I breathe out as my eyes begin to glow brighter again. My mark has already spread all over my body, but it is glowing a light purple. It's glowing so much that it's beginning to burn. 

"You can't help it, can you?" I look up to see Ritsu entering my room. "You're getting stronger." 

"Get out." I demand with a glare. 

"Do you really think that absorbing chakra will make you human? It will only make you more of a monster." Ritsu walks over to me and sees my glowing mark. "Even the mark on your body is increasing." 

"You don't know what you're talking about." I growl. 

"You should give into your desire and accept the monster you are. Give up on becoming human. It's silly of you to think that you can become a human." Ritsu scoffs and I tackle him to the ground, and pin him down by his throat. 

I open my mouth wide and growl again. As much as I wanted to devour his chakra and kill him, I couldn't... I can't bring myself to do that. I'll be proving his point...

I harshly pull myself off of Ritsu and turn my back to him, curling up with my knees pulled up to my chest. I grunt in pain as the urge to take more chakra grows. It's becoming irresistible.

"It's eating away inside you. You can't control it. You want more chakra. Lots more." I hear Ritsu sit up and walk closer to me. "If it bothers you that much, I don't mind bringing you shinobi." 

I slowly lift my head up and glance at him. Ritsu kneels behind me and brings his lips to my ear as he whispers, 

"Once Orochimaru is weakened enough, we'll leave this place." 

"What are you talking about?" I ask in a low voice, but keep my back turned. 

"We both know that he's going to take Sasuke's body, but Sasuke won't allow that to happen since his brother is still on the loose. Orochimaru is starting to weaken and the body he's using won't last long. He'll need Sasuke's body at some point, with or without Sasuke's consent." 

"You can leave if you want, but I'm staying..." 

"The experiments here and what Orochimaru is giving to you won't be enough. Besides, you want to live up to your title, don't you? Don't you find killing fun?" Ritsu whispers the last part into my ear, making my eyes widen. 

My hand twitches as sweat builds up on my forehead, knowing he's right. I do enjoy killing... It's always been that way for me. 

"I'll provide you with what you need as long as you stay with me, got it? I'm helping you out here. One teammate to another." I hear a hard thud on the ground before Ritsu leaves my room, closing the door behind him. 

I slowly turn around to see an unconscious body on the floor, having me turn around fully to face it. Why is Ritsu helping me? Why does he want to leave? He's not wrong about Orochimaru's plan and Sasuke's intentions. Yet, I don't understand why Ritsu would do this for me. Maybe he finds it amusing... 

But, he is right. 

'I want to live up to my title.' I crawl over to the body and turn its head so that it's facing me. 'Just like how it was back then.' I open my mouth and begin to take the unconscious shinobi's chakra. 'Killing and taking all of the chakra in the world... All of it,' I pull away and tilt my head back so that I am looking at the ceiling. 'To become human...' 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~