Friends Forever

Violet sat on the swings quietly looking down to the grassy ground. Playing pirate all day with her best friend couldn't even take her mind off what her parents talked about last night when she stayed over for the night.

Her mother told her father something about sending her away to a boarding school. As usual, her father disagreed and it turned into a whole argument to the point where her father ended slamming a beer bottle in her mother's face resulting in Violet calling her grandmother to pick her up. Same old thing.

Her grandmother asked her friend's mom, Victoria if she could pick up Violet today because she wasn't feeling well and had a doctor's appointment. Victoria, being the sweetest person Violet's ever met gladly excepted picking her up this morning. And she's been with them all day ever since.

Her friend came running out off the back porch wearing a black pirate hat and holding two wooden swords and an eye patch. He ran over to Violet with a wide smile hand over one of the swords and the patch.

"Come on, Violet," he said cheerfully, "we have to defeat Captain Skullface before lunch."

Violet just stayed quiet, her friend's smile started to curl down as he just looked at her with concern.

"Hey, what's wrong? Did, did I do something?"

"N-n-no!" Violet said quickly not wanting to get her friend upset with her knowing how sensitive he was, "you didn't do anything wrong, Moo."

"But you look sad, did your dad hurt you again?"

She shook her head, "No it's something more than that."

"Oh, what is it?"

Violet hated this, he could always tell something wrong which makes him a good friend. Too much of a good friend. She loved and hated it at the same time, but this time she didn't want to see him hurt, especially like this. She hated seeing him hurt at all. But so did he.

"It's okay, Violet, I promise not to get upset with you."

She sighed, "Last night, when mom was talking to daddy, she said something about..."

"About what?"

"About..." tears were starting to swell in her eyes at the thought, "...th-they want to send me away."

Moo widened his eyes, "W-what? What are you talking about."

"Mommy thinks there's something wrong with me and I need to be normal like other kids. So she wants to send me to a boarding school."

"N-no!! Screw her!" Moo exclaimed angrily, "Nothing's wrong with you, mamá said we were both special, and I like the way you are."

She gave him a little smile as he blushed, "I know, but... my parents don't think so."

"I don't care what they think, I don't care what anyone thinks about you. The other kids, your parents, the whole world, and you shouldn't either. I don't care if anything is bad about you, we're still friends at the end."

It was true, the two would stick together through thick and thin. They've been together since pre-k, they weren't gonna stop being friends no matter what they were. But through his words, she could never stop thinking of what others thought of her, unlike her friend. Always stood up to her bullies, talked back to their teachers whenever they got mad at her for things she can't control, and even defending her when some kids just wanted to hurt her. Moo was always the strong one, not her.

But the tears kept falling as she couldn't stop thinking about it.

"B-b-but, we w-won't see each other," she started to sob.

He stepped closer, wrapping his arms around her tightly as she hugged back crying on his shoulder.

"Hey, it's alright," he cooed, "we're always together no matter where we are."

"R-really?" Violet sniffled wiping away her tears.

"Of course, I don't care if it's us against the world, we'll always be friends."

He stared at her nervously for a moment as she furrowed her brows at him in concern. Then unexpectedly he pecked her on her cheek as she just stared at him with her face red as a tomato as so was his face. He then giggled sheepishly as she started to laugh along thinking it was just Moo being silly again.

"Now cheer up, we still have that mission, remember?"

She smiled as she took the eye patch putting on and grabbed her sword.

"Are you ready for this, Captain Yellow Beard?"

She giggled, "Ready as I'll ever be, Sir Val the Brave."

He ran over to the slides as she ran behind smiling and laughing without a care in the world.

She took her mind off the boarding school and just enjoyed having some fun with her best friend as they always did.

From that day on, she never had the thought of ever leaving the person she loved the most.