Staying Behind

Catalina has spent later that night preparing dinner after a long day of organizing her troops. It's been more than a week ever since Marisol had been taken away. Everyone through the town had broken into a panic. But that didn't stop Catalina from putting her foot down. She had made strict rules like don't stay or go anywhere after dark, patrols are not to go at least a mile from the territory if anything send suspiciously, or if have some kind of secret alliances with Miguel you will be killed on sight.

She looked back at Sapphire who had her head buried in her crossed arms on the kitchen table. She frowned sadly at the sight of her niece having to be without her mother. So she granted her sister's wishes by taking care of her until she returned.

"Hey, gem," she forced a smile, "dinner'll be done in a few."

Sapphire just stayed quiet still sitting in the position.

"It's your favorite, stewed beef with carrots," she tried to perk her up a bit but it wasn't working.

Catalina sighed, it wasn't like she didn't know what to do with being a mother herself. She just didn't know how Marisol mothered her. She felt so bad being away from her all day long with having to tend to her own duties and being a leader at the same time.

It was all too overwhelming.

When she was done cooking she went ahead and poured the steaming fresh stew into two bowls for them. She handed one to Sapphire before getting hers sitting across from her. As Catalina ate Sapphire still had her head down.

"Sapphire, you need to eat," Catalina spoke firmly, "you have to have your strength."

"I'm not hungry," she mumbled in her crossed arms.

She began to get impatient, "Eat, now."

At that, Sapphire finally lifted up his head grabbing her spoon, and started eating. Catalina noticed that her eyes were red and glossy. Rockie told her that she has been crying a lot this morning not being able to cheer her up. She sighed turning away with guilt.

"I'm sorry, gem, that was really wrong of me to talk to you like that."

Her expression was blank, "It's okay, Aunt Cat, I understand."

She raised a brow, "Understand what?"

"That. . .you miss mom."

Catalina squeezed her eyes shut trying not to get to teared up, "N-no, it shouldn't be an excuse for me to act like that."

"But. . .don't you miss her?"

"I do, gem, but we're gonna get her back, I promise."

She looked down in her bowl, "There's something I wanted to ask mom about but I was scared she might get mad at me."

"What is it?" Catalina asked curiously.

"My dad, I wanted to go see him after the surgery to see how he's doing."

Catalina almost choked on her food, she could see Marisol right now getting pissed at her request. But she stayed calm and tried to do what her sister would've done.

"Gem, I don't think it's the right time for you to see him, especially when your mother's not around."

Sapphire sighed trying not to argue, "Alright, but I can still see him?"

"Soon."

Hopefully not.

Moments later, a knock came at the door. Catalina rolled her eyes in annoyance having to deal with another issue late tonight. When got up and opened the door, she blinked at the visitors were Cobra and Coyote.