Back on the Road

"You're lying!" Violet exclaimed angrily, "How could you be my sister?"

She shrugged, "Well it's common sense, when a man and woman fall in love, they—"

"No, you dumbass! My parents never talked about you, neither have my grandparents or the rest of my family, please explain this, Storm."

She looked away with a sorrowful expression and sighed heavily, "When I was four, I got... abducted."

Her face changed quickly from anger to shock, "What?"

"Dad... took me to the park one day while Ma kept you home after they got into an argument, three weeks after you were born. He snatched me up and got into the car while she just screamed so desperately to bring me back since she couldn't chase after us because she was weak and so much in pain. He told me that we were going to the park to 'take a break from mommy'. Little did she that his first stop before we went to the park was to the damn liquor store down the road. He had bought this big ass bottle of Hennessey that he drunk half of as he drove. God, I never liked it when he drank."

"Neither did I."

"By the time we arrived, he was super drunk that I even had to help him
out of the car and put on the bench since he couldn't play with me. He told me to go play while sat on those benches from like outside the park and just passed out not caring what I've done. The swings were always my favorite, I played on those for a while until this dude with a black hoodie—kinda young—asked if I wanted a little a push. Of course like the idiot kid I was, I said sure. He pushed me on the swing for a while until he asked me if I wanted to go get ice cream, and . . . I accepted.

"I was only four, four!" tears started to swell in Storm's eyes, "Barely anybody was there and probably just assumed that he was my brother, dad, or something, not the drunk bastard sitting on the bench. He put me in his car and locked all the doors once he got in and cranked it up. As we drove away, I started to notice that we were driving way out of town. I asked him what ice cream store we're going to, but he just stayed quiet the whole time. Then I started to get scared and told him I wanted to go back to my dad. But he wasn't listening. I started to scream, kick and cry until he pulled over, got a gun from his glove compartment, and told me if I did anything like that again, he would shoot me. When we got to his house, he threw me into this bedroom, and then he started to... um... let's just say I had to relive that shit over and over again for eleven years. Nobody ever came for me. I presumed they closed the case and announced me dead after a while."

By the time Storm was done with her story, Violet saw her face covered in tears. That was one the worst things she's ever heard. She couldn't believe Storm, her own sister was taken away without ever mentioning a word about her. She knew their mother was sensitive and their father was lazy and straight-up didn't care. As if she couldn't hate them more than she already did.

She pulled her into another hug but this time more affectionate. She hugged her back as both stayed like that before pulling away.

She then smiled at her wiping most of her tears away, "Now we can be a family again and get to know each other."

"That sounds... nice," she agreed with a soft smile.

A few moments later, Moo walked out of the kitchen with a steaming bowl of noodles and sliced spam.

"I finished dinner for you, Storm, sorry 'bout that."

"Are you kidding me? I'm hungry as hell and if I was still cooking, we would've all starved to death."

He looked over to Violet and handed her a bowl, "Here, you get the most since you're our guest."

"Oh, you didn't have to..."