Chapter 27: Murder Suspect

While I was writing a letter for Elze about how I could not be there to help her with her love for Sheze, the manor suddenly erupted in chaos.

I went down to see what the commotion was about. A group of guards had stormed into our home with a warrant.

"We would like to bring Lady Lilian Lemaire in for questioning about the death of Count Bernard Furst," the Guard with the warrant said.

Nothing can help me escape the fact that I killed Teacher...

I was brought to a station and locked in a cell behind bars for about half an hour before I was brought into an interrogation room. With three people in the room. One sat at the table, while one young woman and one young man sat in opposite corners.

A middle aged man with a full beard and mustache greeted himself, "Greetings, Lady Lemaire. I am Investigator Leroy Smithing. I have a few questions regarding the death of Count Bernard Furst."

That must be Teacher's name in this world...

Should I confess to murdering him?

No, that would hurt my family's reputation. Even if it was for self defense, a woman murdering a man is likely unheard of. I would be tossed out of society and my family would suffer bad rumors about raising an aggressive daughter.

"Yes...I will try to be as cooperative as possible," I said with a professional smile.

"That would be very helpful, Lady Lemaire," Investigator Smithing said. "We would first like to know about where you were last night."

"I was at the festival," I said.

"Is there anyone to attest that?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"I was with my friend Miss Koran. We traveled to several stalls, so you could ask anyone who put up a stall that day. I am sure that many would attest that they had seen me at least once. My hair itself is very rare and eye catching. I doubt that anyone could mistake me for someone else," I said eloquently.

"How long would you say were you at the festival for?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"Until the end," I answered confidently.

After the ordeal, I did a quick bath at a nearby well and changed into my old clothes after having fixed the buttons with my needle and thread.

Miss Koran suggested that she escort me home, but I insisted on going back to the festival to solidify my alibi. We made it just in time before the stalls started packing up.

"Can anyone attest to this?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"I bought a hair accessory from a stall that was just about to close. It is sitting in my room right now," I said.

"That sounds a bit odd...Two girls out all night shopping?" Investigator Smithing said.

"I do not understand what is so strange about shopping," I said as I pointed to the ring on his ring finger and smiled. "You yourself are a married man, so you must understand that there are no limits on stamina for women when it comes to shopping."

Investigator Smithing seemed to shrink under my claim.

"If I admit that my wife has a shopping problem, I would never hear the end of it," Investigator Smithing said weakly.

"...You just admitted it, Investigator Smithing," the young man in the back said.

"I am telling your wife you said that," the young woman in the back said.

Investigator Smithing coughed nervously in his fist.

"W-Was there a time you ever left the festival?" Investigator Smithing asked.