Chapter 31: Reminders of the Past

The case regarding Teacher's death was blown over very quickly. Teacher or Count Bernard Furst did not have any close living relatives. His distant relatives requested that the police just come up with their own convenient excuses so that they could take up his remaining fortune as soon as possible. The police had made up their own criminal and told the tabloids that they had caught him probably to give the populace a peace of mind.

Regarding the numerous paintings of me that were in his home, I was brought in and asked about what I wanted to do with them.

If anything, those paintings only served as a reminder of Teacher's obsession with me. All I wanted to do was burn each and every one of them...Instead, I asked that the police do whatever they wished with them.

I was told that the paintings would be auctioned off to help with roads funding. I had my doubts about whether the paintings of myself would sell, but I heard that each and every one of them sold for a high price at the auctions. It just goes to show that Nobles are willing to blow their money off on literally anything.

"If that will be all..." I said to the Investigators before making my exit.

"Thank you for your cooperation, Lady Lemaire," Investigator Smithing said as he shook my hand.

"I hope that Investigator Smithing will respect your wife more," I said with a smile.

"...Yes, I will do that," Investigator Smithing said.

Investigator Hughes suddenly jumped in front of me as I was leaving. I stepped back a little from the surprise.

"Lady Lilian...would you...would you please honor me with your presence with tea?" Investigator Hughes asked with reddened cheeks.

Investigator Hughes seemed like an earnest man from how he kept his promises and agreed to wait until the investigation was over before inviting me again.

He was not exactly my type, but he was also a handsome man with his tall figure, soft light brown hair, deep forest colored eyes, and a beautifully chiseled chin.

I do not have any reason to refuse...

"Shall we go to somewhere you have recommended?" I asked.

Investigator Hughes leapt with joy upon my acceptance of his invite.

We soon went to a quaint coffee shop with a large open patio.

"Lady Lilian, do you mind me asking what you like to do in your spare time?" Investigator Hughes asked.

"I like reading books and gardening," I answered. "How about you, Investigator Hughes?"

"Me...I like reading as well. I cannot help but grab for a book about a good mystery. If you would like, we could go to the Library together, Lady Lilian," Investigator Hughes suggested.

"...My apologies, I will be preparing to go on a trip soon. My ship will leave tomorrow," I said.

"Ah, of course...I almost forgotten. Where are you planning on going if you do not mind me asking?" Investigator Hughes asked.

"I think I want to travel to a tropical climate. I am a bit interested in finding how I could implement coconuts for cosmetic use," I said excitedly.

Ah...won't business talks be a little boring with a man?

"How lovely," Investigator Hughes said with a bright smile on his face.

I tried looking away from his blinding smile for a moment and soon came across Sheze and Elze locking arms affectionately.

"Oh, Sheze! You are so funny!" Elze said with a booming voice that broke up the tranquil atmosphere.

"Lady Elze, you are sticking too close," Sheze told her.

My body twitched slightly when I heard him use Elze's name. He soon noticed me and awkwardly avoided my eyes. Elze noticed me afterwards and came towards me with Sheze in tow.

"What a coincidence to see you, Lilian!" Elze said with her usual bright smile.

"Greetings, Elze," I said as I greeted her with a smile. "Greetings to you as well, Duke."

"Are you perhaps on a date with this fine gentleman?" Elze asked.

Sheze seemed to stare at me intensely for my answer.

"I think it up to Investigator Hughes to determine," I said with a smile as I looked back at Investigator Hughes.

He seemed to pick up on my cues and acted accordingly.

"I would never dare to call this a date without your permission, Lady Lilian," Investigator Hughes said shyly.

"My! What a gentleman. Shall we continue whatever this is outside?" I asked Investigator Hughes.

"With pleasure!" Investigator Hughes said as he stood up enthusiastically.

I took his hand that he lent to me and made my way out with Investigator Hughes.

"I will see you later, Elze," I said as I waved her goodbye.

I tried not to look at Sheze at all on my way out.

"Are you comfortable now, Lady Lilian?" Investigator Hughes asked.

"...Thank you for earlier, Investigator Hughes," I said.

"I had a feeling, but they must be the two whom broke your heart, yes?" Investigator Hughes asked.

"...Investigator Hughes, you are truly good at your job," I said with a smile.

Sheze and Elze were moving towards their destiny. Who was I to stand in their way?

"Shall we go somewhere nice like this?" Investigator Hughes asked with a smile.

"Investigator Hughes!" a young Policeman yelled as he came up to us. "I apologize for bothering you, but there has been a case..."

I took it as my sign to leave and tried to give them some space. The two began whispering to each other in quiet voices.

"It's the third case already...Is it a serial murder case now?" Investigator Hughes asked.

My ears perked up at Investigator Hughes' words. It had been a week since Teacher died by my hands. He had been reincarnated as the stalker who was supposed to kill me and turn into a serial killer after killing me in this life.

However, I killed him before he could go on a killing spree. All of this should have ended with his death...