Chapter 38: Warning Signs

Baron Gysel Kruger was apparently loved by his servants and the malicious rumors were just that. It seemed to me like he was on good terms with his wife. She was young as the rumors said, so their relationship appeared quite questionable to others looking from the outside, so I doubt that there were illegal matters happening behind the walls. I was more concerned about Elze.

I felt uneasy about Elze becoming of the owner of the mansion so soon after Teacher's death. The killings happened just around the time where Elze got ownership over the mansion. It cannot be that she is involved with the recent murders. She is exactly the last person you would expect to be involved.

Originally, she was supposed to go snooping around for clues about the killer since I was the one who died. If I think back about it, Sheze was her first suspect, but now they are on good terms and she has no particular reason to chase after the killer herself since I was alive.

"Do you think Lady Elze is a Witch?" Miss Koran asked me as we were leaving the Baron's residence in a carriage.

"It cannot be...She was the main heroine in the book. It never once mentioned that she was capable of creating potions," I said.

"...If I may say this, I believe that the book you read is quite skewed from what is happening right now. Are you sure that it is even reliable at this point?" Miss Koran asked.

"Even so, Elze is a pure to honest good person unlike me...Even if you ask me to suspect her, I am unable to do so," I said as I looked outside of the carriage.

I read all about Elze and knew just how truly good of a person she was. If anything, she could easily have helped the culprit without knowing that he was a murderer.

It was not before long until a fifth victim was found in their home a few minutes from the Inn. The newest victim was a young woman again, but oddly enough, the woman worked as a prostitute. She was far from being a virgin but bits of her hymen were found at the scene according to the information Miss Koran overheard from the coroners.

Such a case where her hymen could be found would be impossible unless a potion was used to restore it...

Therefore, a Witch was truly involved in this case.

I was asked to return to the station the next day. I could only assume that it was about my suspicious movements these past few days.

We came across Sheze who was at the station as well.

"Lilian, what are you doing here?" Sheze asked as he went up to me.

He stood a bit too close to me. If I walked backwards, it might have been misconstrued of me being rude towards him.

"It is Lady Lemaire...I was called here to answer some questions," I answered.

"I heard that you were one of the first people to witness the body of the recent victim. Are you alright?" Sheze asked as he suddenly got closer to me again.

"...I am fine because I have Miss Koran by my side," I said as I stared back at his impossibly blue eyes.

"Right...I hope that she is good to you," Sheze said with a wry smile.

We soon stood in awkward silence and stared at each other.

"What are you doing here, Duke?" I asked to break up the silence.

"...I have been asked to protect someone who is involved with the Platinum Killer case," Sheze answered awkwardly.

A few moments later, Elze appeared from the station. Her left arm appeared to be bandaged heavily from her wrist to her elbow.

"I am done, Sheze!" Elze said as she came and latched onto Sheze's arm. Sheze quickly pulled his arm away. "What was that for? I am an injured person. I will have you know!"

"You are injured, Elze?" I asked her.

Elze tackled me into a hug and rubbed her cheek against mine.

"Lilian! I am so glad to see you. You do not understand the ordeal I went through yesterday," Elze said as she released me.

"What happened to your arm?" I asked her.

"I was attacked by the Platinum Killer yesterday. He injured my arm," Elze said while sobbing. She soon grabbed Sheze's arm and began smiling again. Her emotions are too erratic for me to understand...Is she sad or is she happy? "At least Sheze will be here to protect me!"

Elze knows exactly what to say to hurt me...

"...The person you are protecting is Elze?" I asked Sheze.

"...She was attacked outside of the fifth victim's home. There is a chance that she might be approached by the killer again, so I will have to stay by her side for awhile," Sheze answered hesitantly.

Sheze is going to protect Elze according to the same events as the novel.

"I see...I hope that you will recover soon, Elze," I said as I quickly moved past them.

I was soon greeted by Investigator Hughes and Investigator Smithing.

"Lady Lemaire, we were told that you went to an Apothecary to ask about a bottle that was used in the crime scenes," Investigator Smithing said.

"Yes...I thought that I had seen the bottle before when Investigator Hughes showed it to me and warned me to be careful about it. When I saw Investigator Hughes leave yesterday, I panicked and inquired if there was someone who bought the bottle at an Apothecary. Investigator Hughes would be falsely accused for a crime he did not commit," I said woefully.

"I understand your worries, but you cannot go around asking too many questions without someone to protect you," Investigator Hughes said.

"Let's leave it as a warning, Lady Lemaire. Please do not go snooping around on your own," Investigator Smithing said.

"I understand," I said with a smile.

Miss Koran and I soon made our way towards the location of the fifth murder.

It was fairly easy to break in the house. I then went to look at the crime scene. Other than the body, everything else was left as is.

Elze was injured when the supposed Platinum Killer came out from this house...

Why would Elze come near a prostitute's place anyways?

The house was located in a not so good area. It was located near the Red Light District where brothels and gambling areas were mostly at. The only people that frequent here are men, Red Light workers, and children born from the slums. I had nothing to defend about Elze somehow getting lost here, but she did have a knack at getting lost in strange places in the novel. She did get lost and end up at Arthur's Shop and several of the crime scenes despite going in the wrong directions before in the novel.

"The house sits on a corner," Miss Koran noted.

"Yes, I thought that was odd too. This is a residential district, so there should have been at least one or two people that saw a man come out from here even more so if it was during the midday when Elze was attacked upon the suspect leaving the house after the murder," I reasoned. "If Elze was on the street when it happened, anyone could have easily seen her getting attacked, but no one has yet."

"...It is that kind of neighborhood, Lady Lilian," Miss Koran said indifferently.

Everyone has their own way of surviving, right?

"If the Platinum Killer wanted to escape in the streets, he could have escaped from the front door, since the back door was locked," I said as I went towards the blood splattered bed.

It was terribly horrific to see since the blood had not yet been cleaned. I still made my way towards the bed that was laying right beside the window. The window was right by the murder scene. I had an odd feeling about the window and went towards the closed window. There were blood stains on the outside of the window trim.

"Did you happen to find something?" Miss Koran asked.

"The Platinum Killer was most likely injured before leaving the scene of the murder," I deduced.