Chapter 36: Violent Crime

Miss Koran and I began waiting for who would be the Platinum Killer.

"When will it happen?" Miss Koran asked.

"The attack will happen some time between tonight and tomorrow morning..." I said.

"How about resting for a little bit, Lady Lilian?" Miss Koran suggested.

"I really am fine," I said.

"You have been moving around all day. I expect that you are tired from moving around so much," Miss Koran said.

"You have been moving around all day as well, Miss Koran," I said worriedly.

"I can go without sleep and function with full capabilities for seventy-two hours. I do not expect for you to do the same, Lady Lilian," Miss Koran said with an assuring smile. "I will be sure to wake you if I find something out of the ordinary."

I heeded her advice and rested my eyes for a bit on the bed. After some time, I woke up and found Miss Koran sitting beside me on the bed.

"...Has anything happened yet?" I asked Miss Koran.

"Not yet," Miss Koran said as she gave me a waking up kiss on my cheek. I immediately jumped upwards and held my cheek out of embarrassment. "I wanted to make sure that you were fully awake since we were reaching an auspicious time. Was that effective, Lady Lilian?"

"...Very effective," I answered her.

Miss Koran and I waited all night but found no traces of someone coming for us. Neither were there any particular movements that needed noting either.

Dawn finally broke and a loud scream passed through the halls. Miss Koran and I quickly made our way out and saw a housekeeper on the ground in front of the room across from us.

"Are you alright?" I asked her.

"There...There is a dead body," she said as she clung to my clothes.

On the bed, a naked man was laying face down. His neck had shown signs of strangulation. He had also shown signs of bleeding from his stomach and rectum that was also covered with semen.

It was an incredibly violent scene that was way worse seeing it in person. I myself wanted to vomit but held on as I examined the room with my eyes.

The same bottle used in the previous killings was also found on the floor by the bed and the windows were locked. There was also sign of forced entry or much of a struggle on the victim's side by the looks of his hands.

Why was he a man? In the novel, the Platinum Killer targeted young female virgins with blonde hair, but this was clearly a man with blonde hair killed in a similar way to the other victims. On top of that, the victim laid face down instead of up this time.

"What happened?" the owner of the Inn came by to see us all standing outside of the room.

"There has been a dead body found," Miss Koran said calmly.

The owner locked the room while authorities came by to investigate.

We all stayed back along with everyone else on the floor before the Investigators arrived.

Investigator Smithing and Investigator Hughes arrived at the scene. They took notes from everyone near the scene as well as the staff members on the floor as well.

"Lady Lilian, what are you doing here?" Investigator Hughes asked as he came up to me.

"I became tired of walking around and decided to rest here with Miss Koran," I said. "This morning we heard a scream and saw the dead body."

"I see...That is quite terrible," Investigator Hughes said.

"I would like for you to take a look at the face, if you are willing," Investigator Smithing said.

"Of course," I answered.

The Investigators had covered up the deceased's body and face with a white sheet. Investigator Smithing removed the cloth over the victim's face for me to see. He was the same man who was with Elze yesterday as well as the man Investigator Hughes got into an argument with.

"Do you recognize this man?" Investigator Smithing asked. "His name is Liam Carter."

"Yes, he is a friend of my friend Elze Kruger, but I have only met him yesterday," I answered.

"Do you happen to know if he was in any disagreements with anyone lately?" Investigator Smithing asked.

I looked back at Investigator Hughes. He showed incredible discomfort on his face.

"...To tell the truth, I was in a disagreement with him yesterday," Investigator Hughes confessed.

"...You know of protocol," Investigator Smithing said coldly.

"Of course...I will go down to the station for questioning," Investigator Hughes said dishearteningly.

"Investigator Hughes, I believe in you," I told him as I grabbed his hands.

"Thank you, Lady Lilian," Investigator Hughes said as he answered me with a smile before he was taken away by the other authorities.

"Are you close with Investigator Hughes?" Investigator Smithing asked.

"I would not say that we are close. I think I understand him enough to say that he is an honest to true good man," I answered.

"I agree with you," Investigator Smithing said.

After a few more questions, I was soon allowed to leave with Miss Koran.

I overheard Investigator Smithing speaking earlier and heard that upon strangulation, the victim was subjected to multiple stab wounds in the stomach like the previous victims of the Platinum Killer. The novel never mentioned the victims experiencing stab wounds, so this was new information to me as well.