Chapter 43: Upstanding Citizen

After catching the Platinum Killer, I intended to let Miss Koran take the credit for catching him. However, the same effect occurred anyways. I was hailed as some kind of Hero by the people and given an honorary note by the town for my upstanding citizenship services.

If that was not all, I was granted an audience with the King since the case involved the use of potions and was not an ordinary kind of crime.

When I first met the King, I was a bit surprised by how young he was but was more surprised by how Miss Koran's ears were tinged red from meeting King Raze. I ascertained that he was Miss Koran's difficult love from the way she was trying to maintain a straight laced face.

The King was Sheze's elder brother who looked much like him apart from his piercing red eyes and dark grey longer hair.

"Lady Lemaire, I would like to reward you for your efforts in catching the Platinum Killer, uncovering illegal dealings of undocumented potions, and exposing unlawful use of potions under law," King Raze said with a smile.

A reward is not necessary, but I cannot reject the King's kindness...

"I would like cash," I said shamelessly.

Miss Koran began whispering in my ear, "It is a bit rude to ask for money so easily. Certainly there are other things you could ask for..."

"Cash makes the world go round," I said bluntly.

"I agree, Lady Lilian," King Raze said.

"If we compare the number of inventions that occur during wartime to peace time, obviously there are more during wartime because there is a need for commercialization!" I said to Miss Koran.

"I will grant a higher reward money than the one that was issued. Since that is an easy matter, is there anything else you would like, Lady Lilian?" King Raze asked.

If I asked for a marriage between Sheze and I, it would be easy to usurp Elze's position, but doing so would not make Sheze's heart return to me no matter how much I yearned for him.

"I would like permission to marry whomever I wish," I said sincerely. One day, I may find someone I love more than Sheze and want to spend the rest of my life with. All I wish is to be able to love that person and have that same person love me the same. "Miss Koran was the one who actually caught the perpetrator, so I believe that she should also get a reward as my proxy."

"I was thinking of giving her an award anyways," King Raze said with a smile. "Speak...what is your wish, Lady Koran?"

"I would like to ask for the same reward as Lady Lilian," Miss Koran said with a hand over her heart.

"Cash?" I asked Miss Koran with a surprised face.

"No, not that...I would like permission to marry whomever I wish as well," Miss Koran said shyly.

My heart squeezed at the sight of Miss Koran's meekness.

"Whether you wish to marry a Prince or a King, I shall grant the both of you the right to marry whomever your hearts desire," King Raze said. Miss Koran seemed to have a wry smile upon getting her wish granted. "I will also confer Lady Lemaire the title of a Princess."

Are Princess titles something you hand out so easily?!

"We humbly accept the decree, Your Majesty," I said as I kneeled down with Miss Koran.

Upon arriving home, I quickly had my servants remove the heavy dress that I was forced to wear and quickly changed into my usual clothes.

"It seems that Lady Elze is here to greet you," Miss Koran said as she knocked on my door.

I had not seen Elze since our fight, nor did I see her after I caught the Platinum Killer. Now that I have been granted a reward from the King, she comes to see me now?

"...Let her in," I said to much of my own reluctance.

"Lilian, I am so glad to see you well again!" Elze said as she went to hug me.

I do not understand how Elze can come and hug me after telling me that she wished the Platinum Killer killed me so that she could have Sheze all to herself.

"It brings me joy to see you well as well," I said dispassionately.

"I am really sorry about our fight. I was childish and worried that you would take Sheze from me. That is why I said words that I did not mean and hurt you," Elze said. "I hope that you will forgive me since we are best friends after all."

She throws the Best Friend Card whenever it is convenient for her...

"Did you happen to know that Heinrich was after me, Elze?" I asked her.

Elze released me and began sobbing.

I was unable to feel anything from her crocodile tears.

"How was I to know that Heinrich had an obsession with the people around me?" Elze asked innocently.

"Do you mention my name every time you are with your male friends?" I asked.

Heinrich as well as the fifth murder victim Liam also knew my name before I even introduced myself to them.

"My male friends always ask if I am acquainted with someone cute. The cutest person that comes to my mind is always Lilian," Elze said innocently. "I always talked about how lovely you were."

"Do you ever think of the implications behind your words?" I asked Elze. "The men were asking for an easy woman. When you answered with my name so easily, you also implied that I was an easy woman or a floozy."

"...There is no way that I meant that when I put out your name. I was always worried that you might be lonely since you were always single," Elze said.

"I am a Noble's daughter with a good upbringing. Even if you did not flaunt my name so easily, I would have men flocking to me in droves," I said as I threw the marriage proposal stacks of nearly twenty eligible bachelors at her feet.

When word gets out that I received a Princess title from King Raze, it will be a matter of time before the marriage proposal stacks will triple.

"...If you have this many, there is no reason for you to go after Sheze," Elze said with tears in her eyes. "Please let me have Sheze..."

Again...she always mention Sheze as if to undermine me and make me remember my place as the person who slept with him first. I felt guilty at first, but all I feel is contempt now. It was Elze who released my name to the Platinum Killer and most likely used him as a way to get rid of me probably not intentionally, but I just cannot forgive her anymore.

"I have already told you many times that I am through with him. Have you ever seen me imploring for his attention? Do you want it in writing?" I asked snidely.

"I cannot help worrying," Elze said worriedly.

"Elze, do not come here anymore. I will not go near the Duke anymore, but you have to promise to also never show your face in front of me again. At this moment, we are no longer best friends...or even friends anymore," I said coldly.

"How could you throw away our long history together, Lilian?" Elze asked in a loud voice.

"You were the one who did that when you were willing to have the Platinum Killer come after me so that you could console the Duke at my funeral," I said as I rung the bell. Two of my servants came in. "Please escort Lady Kruger out of my residence."

Elze was quickly taken out from my home swiftly afterwards.

After I confirmed that Elze had left, I went back to packing my things for my trip.

After the terror of the Platinum Killer was clear, I was finally able to leave the country. I hoped to leave my feelings behind too, but it seems that I will be carrying those burdens with me in my heart.

Leaving this country will do me some good. I hoped to start a new beginning...That was my wish before going to bed.

I was suddenly brought to a rude awakening from my sweet dream. I was looking at a familiar ceiling from a bed. It was Teacher's room from when I was first locked inside of his manor.