Marcus' Wish

~ A sad thing in life is that sometimes you meet someone who means a lot to you only to find out in the end that it was never bound to be and you just have to let go.” ~

-Anonymous-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“Let us give the newly wed couple the first dance of the night,”

 Once the master of ceremonies announced, I watched as Gregory led Raine to the center floor as the the band started to tune in a soft song of waltz. They were the center of attention in tonight’s event. Well, they should be since it was their wedding.

After a few minutes the couple dance, I saw Nate and Kylie along with their spouses joined them in dancing. Soon the floor were filled with dancing couple as they enjoyed the party. Everyone seemed to be in good mood tonight.

I, on the other hand, just sat on the table and watched them in amusement while slowly sipping a glass of champagne. By time I finished my drink, I decided to say my congratulations to the couple of the night when I saw them going back to their table.

When I stood up and began to walk, a hand layed on my shoulder stopped me. I turned around and saw the beautiful woman who used to make my heart racing. Now, all those feelings were left behind from the past.

She showed me an enchanting smile. “Why aren’t you dancing?” she asked.

I just shrugged. “Women tonight didn’t asked me to dance with them, so that’s why I’m not dancing,” I joked. “To think I’m the groom’s best man, and no one seem to have the courage to asked me out.”

“Funny, I never knew that it should be women that would ask men out,” she replied dryly, although she was holding back a smile.

“That was past and now’s the present. So yeah, many things happened and I do wonder where have you been since then.”

This time she really couldn’t hold back her laughter. I could only smile, and try to banished the memories that keep flashing back on my mind when we used to be together.

“Anyways,” she said as she managed to composed herself, “where were you going before I stopped you? Perhaps, you’re tired of waiting for someone to ask you to dance that you decided to do the first move,” she said while wiggling her eyebrows and a huge grin plastered on her face.

I laughed out, before I shook my head. “I’m going to bid my congratulations to Gregory and Raine,” I jerked my head slightly towards the couple. “And I’m also going to bid my farewell.”

“Your leaving already?” she asked surprised. I just gave a slight nod. “But I didn’t even get the chance to dance with you.”

True.

In fact, I didn’t dance with anyone tonight and her proposition was quite tempting. Although I knew I could oblige her, I just manage to give her a sad smile and just shook my head.

“Fiona,” I paused as I watched the couples dancing on the floor before I gaze back to her. I let out a heavy breath before saying, “I just need some”—I paused— “. . .some time,” I finished.

If other people would hear me saying such words, they would instantly understand but Fiona knows otherwise. She knows the real meaning behind the words, so she just simply nodded while giving me a sad smile.

And because I don’t want to ruin a happy occasion, I tried to plastered a fake grin on my face and excuse myself. Before I leave, I heard her saying the words that she kept on repeating everytime we always have some moments together in private.

I’m sorry.

I smiled wryly before I head towards the table where Gregory and Raine were sitting.

When they saw me coming towards them, Gregory immediately stood up and shook my hand while Raine showed me a glowing smile. A smile that I knew that she would always have knowing her husband was the reason for it.

“Congratulations,” I greeted before I unclasped my hand from Gregory.

“Thank you,” both of them replied.

“I know the night is still young and fun,” I told them, “but I must bid my farewell.”

“But you didn’t even dance yet,” Raine protested, then frowned for a moment as she was thinking something. “In fact, I didn’t even see you dance with anyone else. Not me or even with Fiona,” she pouted.

I just laughed while Gregory shook his head. “Darling, if Marcus wants to leave early then he must have a reason. Early business meeting, perhaps?” he asked, turning to face me. I wanted to say that I didn’t have anything to do tomorrow since it was my day off, but I just smiled and nod even though it wasn’t true. “See?” Gregory turned to faced his wife. “Let the man have his rest for his early work tomorrow.”

Raine just let out a sighed before jerking her head to the right side. “You could have at least dance for a few minutes with my maid-of-honor.”

I looked to the direction where she was facing, and sure enough to find one of my workaholic and dedicated-to-my-job-because-I-badly-want-to-keep-it look of my recently hired employee.

Miss Ever Lovelace.

I just shook my head and again bid the couple felicitations before I leave the party. As I waited for Rogers to get the car from the parking lot, I look up and smiled as I stared the most beautiful starry night, and made a wish for that night even though there were no shooting stars falling from the sky.

“I wish. . .”