Just Friends

It was winter in avonlea. everything was covered in snow. you were walking towards the school with crunching snow underneath your feet. your cheeks were pink because you were so cold and you rubbed your arms trying to warm up. you walked up to the school as you heard loud chatter coming from the classroom. you took of yout coat and hat and hung them up. curiosity took over you and you walked over to your classmates standing in a circle. you gasped. your childhood friend you haven't seen in years stood there in front of you.
"Gilbert" you yelled and you pushed passed your friends.
"y/n, it's so good to see you!" he pulled you into a hug and people started whispering. you didn't care you needed to be in your friends arms.
"I've missed you" you say pulling away from the hug.
"Really?" he smirks at you. old feelings already starting to rush back into him.
"of course I have! you're one of my best friends and you were gone for over a year"
he looked down at the floor slightly disappointed.

one of my best friends.
those weren't the words Gilbert wanted to hear.

"well I've missed you too, I'll see you after class" he says walking towards his desk leaving you confused. you frown and sit down next to Diana waiting for class to start.

after class you saw Gilbert walking out. you quickly grabbed your hat and coat and ran after him.
"Gilbert wait!" you yell smiling. he turns around and stops walking. he smiles back at you.
"hey" He says and he stares at you with twinkling eyes.
"you look beautiful today y/n"
you freeze at those words.
"thanks!" you say linking your arms.
Gilbert looks down at the floor.

is he blushing? no it's probably just the cold winter air.

"how are you? " you ask and look up at him.
"I'm glad to be back." he says and he looks back up again.
"I'm glad you're back as well" you say chuckling.
"are you going to work on the farm again?" you ask with a small frown on your face.
"yes for a few years with my friend Sebastian"
"oh you brought a friend to Avonlea?"
"yes I met him on the ship."
"well I'd love to meet him sometime" you say smiling.
"why don't you come over for dinner tonight?" he asks.
"I can't tonight, my grandmother is having dinner with us"
he looks down disappointed.
"I'll come by some other time"
"do you wanna just talk in the field. like old times?" he asks with hopeful eyes.
"right now?" you ask chuckling.
"yes" he says and he stops walking.
"sure why not."

you walk towards the field you two would always sit in. a cold breeze almost blew your hat of your head. you shivered.
"are you okay?"
"just cold" you smile and he pulls you close to keep you warm. your body tingles at the sudden touch.

what is he doing? he's probably just being a good friend.

"is it hard. you know being back here after everything that happened? you ask as you turn towards him. he stops walking and you notice he's clenching his jaw.
"I'm fine"
"Gilbert I've know you since I was like four years old. I know you're not feeling okay" you pull him into a hug and you feel his tears falling on your dress. you slowly run your fingers through his hair. he pulls away slowly.
"thank you" he says and he smiles softly. "thank you for noticing"
your heart melts. he doesn't deserve to be this sad.
"let's just have some fun okay?" you say and wipe his tears away. you start tickling him causing him to burst out in laughter. he runs away from you and you throw a snowball into his neck.
"ahh stop" he says laughing as he throws one in your face. you feel the cold snow hit your face as you start chasing him.
"you're going to regret that!" you yell running after him. he suddenly stops running causing you to crash into him. you both fall to the ground. he climbs on top of you and tickles you. you start laughing as you try to push him of.
"stop it" you say smiling. he stops tickling you and he stares into your eyes. he starts to lean in. you widen your eyes.

what is he doing?

You feel his soft lips brush yours. you push him off. "what are you doing!?"
you ask frowning. you're very confused. his eyes widen as he looks at you. you can see sadness and panic in his eyes.
"I- I'm sorry" he says standing up. you stand up as well and brush of your dress. Gilbert looks at the floor with a bright red face.
"I like you y/n" he says. you stay quiet for a moment.
"Gilbert I'm really sorry but... I don't feel the same way. I thought we were just friends" your heart breaks as you see tears form into his eyes.
"Gilbert I don't know what to say" you pause "I should go" you say before turning around. Gilbert gently grabs your wrist.
"y/n wait" you sigh and feel tears forming in your eyes as he says this in a broken voice.
"have you never in your entire life felt anything for me?" he asks and his voice cracks. you turn back around to face him.
"maybe before you left. but Gilbert I haven't seen you for a whole year and then you just turn back up here and kiss me. you can't do that to me." you say trembling and a tear escapes your eye.
"I'm sorry y/n"
"I have to go" you pull your wrist out of his grip and walk away. tears roll down your face and your thoughts are going crazy.

your Grandma opens the door and pulls you in a hug.
"my favorite granddaughter!" she says as she pulls away from the hug. you wipe your tears and smile.
"Hi grandma!" you say.
"oh dear child what's wrong?"
"I'm just confused" you say.
"tell me everything" she says pulling you inside.

you sit down in the living room across from your dear grandmother.
"your remember Gilbert right?"
"of course I do. you two used to be inseparable"
"h-he kissed me today" you say looking at the floor. "and I don't know how to feel about it"
"well do you love him?"
"of course I do. but I don't know if I love him like that."
"well what does your heart say" your grandma asks putting a hand on your shoulder.
"I don't know."

I really don't know.

after some talking with your grandmother you feel better. but you're still not sure about how you feel.
"Dinner is ready!" you hear your mother yell from the kitchen.
you walk over to the dinner table and sit down. your grandmother sits down next to you and your parents across from you. you smile.
"child have you been crying?" your mother asks looking at your puffy red eyes.
"yes but I'm okay" you say looking down. during dinner you're quiet. Gilbert running through your thoughts again. the way his lips touched yours leaving a tingling sensation. the way his eyes looked at you filled with sadness when you told him you didn't feel the same way. the way his voice cracked when he asked you if you've ever felt something for him. and then it suddenly hit you.

you stand up from the table.
"y/n what are you doing? sit down" your mother says. you look at your grandma. and she nods already knowing what you're going to say.
"I have to go" you yell and run to get your coat. "my heavens Y/n what's going on?" your father yells.

"I'm in love with Gilbert Blythe!"

you slam the door on your way out and start running through the woods. leaving footmarks in the snow as you run towards Gilbert's house. you knock on his door breathing heavily as a man opens the door.
"hello?" he says as he looks at you confused.
"I'm-" you pause to breathe. "I'm y/n and I need to see Gilbert. like right now if that's possible." his eyes widen. "you're y/n?" he asks.
"yes and you must be Sebastian" you shake his hand.
"Blythe there's someone at the door for you!" he yells. Gilbert walks through the door and freezes when he sees you.
"y/n" he says and he stares into your eyes.
"I'll leave you two alone" Sebastiam says before disappearing to the kitchen.
"Y/n I'm so sorry for kissing you. I should've know you didn't feel the same way. I hope I didn't ruin our friendship. because I love you more than anything."
"Gilbert I love you too"
"I know but in a different way." he looks down at the floor.
"no Gilbert I feel the same" you say as you step closer to him. you slowly trace your finger over his jawline as he just stands there confused.
"wait what?" he asks frowning.
"maybe this will help you understand" you say as you press your lips on his. he's startled at first but then he kisses back. he wraps his arms around your waist and pulls you closer smiling into the kiss. you slowly pull away and he looks at you with a big smile on his face and sparkling eyes. you can't help but smile back.
"I love you Gilbert Blythe"
"I love you too Y/n L/N"

______________________________________

please vote or comment. I really appreciate it! ✨