So Far Away

you sighed softly as you swept the floor of your small bakery in a town close to the English harbor. it was very early, so there was almost no one around. the sun had just risen so it was still a bit dark.

you threw your broom to the side once you were done, and started scrubbing the counter tops. you did this every morning for years now, you lived alone above the shop, every day was the same and your life was pretty boring.

until this morning, when a handsome young man around your age with beautiful dark hair entered the shop, he looked a bit lost, definitely a tourist.

"morning, how may I help you?" you asked, the curly haired boy looked over at you, he immediately tried wiping some dirt of his face.

"good morning miss, can I have a cup of coffee please?" he asked.

you didn't quite know what to make of his accent, probably because you never left this town before. "of course, please take a seat"

you quickly made his order as he sat down and looked around the shop and out of the window, it seemed like he was waiting on something.

"there you go," you said putting his order in front of him.

"thank you," he said smiling brightly at you, nearly making you swoon.

"so uhm... what brings you to england?" you asked as you continued to clean.

"I work on a steamer, we only just boarded here, I'm quite lost, to be honest," he let out a small chuckle.

"oh I see," you said chuckling softly, before a very bold idea came into your mind. "I could show you around, if you like."

the boy raised his eyebrows, making you gulp. he nodded. "I'd like that, but I'm here with a friend so he'll have to join us." he said smiling at you once again.

your cheeks immediately flushed red. "that's fine, what's your name?" you asked smiling back.

"Gilbert Blythe, and you?"

"Y/n L/n, it's nice to meet you, Gilbert," you said, you had no idea what on earth you were doing, you didn't even have time to show him around.

"you too," he said, once again sending you his heartwarming smile.

"well if you're ready, I'm in the kitchen," you said, before sending him one last smile as he nodded.

you went into the kitchen, closing the door behind you and letting out a deep breath. you had to keep yourself from squealing.

meanwhile Gilbert was grinning to himself as he drank his coffee.

you heard the sound of a bell, meaning there was a new customer. you quickly washed your hands.

"why are grinning like that Blythe?" you heard, as you walked back into the other room, seeing a man sitting across from Gilbert.

that must be his friend.

Gilbert looked up and smiled at you. "this is my friend, Bash," he said gesturing to the man.

you smiled at him. "nice to meet you Bash, I'm Y/n."

"nice to meet you too," Bash said as he stuck out his hand for you to shake, you shook it.

"Y/n has offered to show us around," Gilbert said after quickly finishing his coffee.

"that's very kind of you Y/n," Bash said smiling.

"oh it's no trouble, and I'm sick of being stuck in here all day," you said chuckling softly.