More Than He Does

"Morning Y/n" you turned around to see Billy walking up to you. you were standing against a tree next to the stream reading a book. "why are you all alone?" he asked as he stood beside you. he seemed a little nervous.

"I'm reading" you said gesturing towards your book, as you send him a small smile.

"Watcha reading?" he asked. you lifted up your book. "pride and prejudice," he reads. "never heard of it," he says as you lower your book back down.

"you're probably not talking to me just to see what I'm reading... what do you want?" you asked, not looking at him.

Billy scratched his neck. "I wanted to ask you... uhm... do you wanna be my girlfriend?" he asked.

you looked up, raising your eyebrows, feeling a blush appear on your cheeks. "s-sure" you said.

Billy smiled. "great" he said before pressing a kiss on your cheek and running of to his friends.

you felt your cheeks burn as you smiled. you hid your face behind your book not noticing your best friend Gilbert Blythe staring at you with a clenched jaw.

he stood with his friends as Billy told them you were now his girlfriend.

Gilbert was hopelessly in love with you and he had been for a while, he knew Billy liked you, but he never thought you would like him back.

Gilbert didn't want you to be with Billy, mainly because he loved you, bit also because he knew Billy would treat you bad.

He excused himself from his friends and walked over to you. "so you and Billy are courting?" he asked as he stood in front of you.

you looked up at him with raised eyebrows. "yea..." you said, wondering why he cared.

"you never told me you liked him." Gilbert said, scratching his neck.

"well... I don't really know if I like him" you said flipping the pages of your book.

"you don't like him?" Gilbert asks with hopeful eyes.

"Oh no I do. don't get me wrong," you said, "I just have to get to know him better, but he's nice to me and he's handsome so..."

Gilbert let out a sigh, jealousy boiling inside him. Billy was an unfeeling jerk and you deserved better. "right..."

~

"See you tomorrow Y/n" Billy said as he ran past you pressing a kiss on your cheek.

"bye" you said, your cheeks buringing as you watched him walk away, slightly disappointed he didn't walk you home. you just strolled home on your own.

so did Gilbert, he lived in the other direction. he was slowly walking home. kicking against a few branches as he thought about you. for all he knows you could be kissing Billy right now. he clenches his jaw thinking about it. he didn't want you to kiss Billy. he wanted you to kiss him, but he could never tell you that. especially now you were in a relationship.

Gilbert enters his house throwing his hat to the floor as he groans.

"Blythe what's going on?" Bash asks as he rushes towards Gilbert.

Gilbert sighed, tears pricking in his eyes. "Y/n and Billy are courting" he said hitting his head against the wall.

Bash patted Gilbert back. "I'm sorry Blythe, that's rough" he said as a tear slipped down Gilbert's cheek.

~

you layed in bed thinking about Billy. sure he was handsome but was he really what you wanted? you'd never even thought about Billy like that, and even though he was nice to you, he was always mean to others...