Someone Else

You walked over to the schoolhouse as nervous as ever. today there were dancing lessons planned... and there was touching! you quickly made your way over to your friends who were all chatting loudly about boys. they all let out squeals when you came closer. "what's going on?" you asked. "Gilbert asked me to the ball!" Ruby said before letting out another squeal. it suddenly felt like someone stuck a knife in your chest. you tried to be happy for Ruby so you smiled. "that's great!" you said not very convincingly but Ruby didn't notice. she and the other girls started squealing again while you glanced over to the boys and locked eyes with Gilbert. your breath hitched and you quickly looked away with tears in your eyes. right before class started Diana pulled you aside. "what's going on Y/n? you were so excited about dancing." she says while looking at you with a small frown. "I have feelings for Gilbert... and now he's going with Ruby." you said and Diana gasped. "you have feelings for Gilbert?" she asked slightly widening her eyes. "yes... oh Diana how do I make them stop?!" you asked desperately shaking her shoulders. "oh Y/n I don't know... but there are plenty of boys who would love to go with you" she says. you nod softly. "only I don't want to go with them" you whispered under your breath. Diana took your hand and squeezed it. "let's get to class"

Mrs. Lynde was standing in front of the class with a smile on her face. you didn't want to dance anymore. you wanted to go home and eat pie while crying over a good book. you sighed as Mrs Lynde cleared her throat. the students quieted down and she smiled. "Good Morning students" she said excitedly. "morning" a few students muttered. "I'm sure you all know why I'm here" she said looking around as a few people nodded. "I'm going to give dancing lessons today" she said as she smiled brightly again. "I'm going to make pairs" she said looking around. she grabbed students by their shoulders and pushed them together to a side. you saw Ruby intensely staring at Gilbert but disappointingly looking down after Gilbert got paired with... you.

oh no.

Mrs Lynde pushed you and Gilbert to the side and you almost tripped over your own feed. you chuckled nervously as Gilbert smiled at you. "who are you going with?" Gilbert asked. you slightly widened your eyes. "n-no one asked me yet" you say looking at Gilbert's shoes. "oh" Gilbert said looking genuinely confused. "are you hoping someone asks you?" he asked scratching his neck. "the person I wanted to go with already asked someone else." you said biting your bottom lip. "I see" he said looking at the floor. "now students pay attention!" Mrs Lynde said while clapping her hands and everyone quickly turned their head in her direction. "hold you partner like this." she said as she held her husband. you gulped and awkwardly looked at Gilbert. he cleared his throat and took your hand. you immediately turned red but didn't notice the blush on Gilbert's face. Gilbert laid his hand on your waist and you layed yours on his shoulder. "Y-you're going with Ruby right?" you asked looking at your hand on his shoulder. "uhh yea. I heard she really wanted to go with me so I thought I'd just... ask her." he said and you nodded.

Mr and Mrs Lynde danced and everyone followed their movement struggling. you chuckled as you saw Josie trip over her partner's shoes. You didn't dare to look at Gilbert so instead you focused your eyes on the floor. Gilbert stared at you with a small smile on his face.

When class was over you let out a breath and went home silently. normally you would've chatted with your friends but you didn't wanna hear Ruby. "Y/n" you suddenly heard someone very closely behind you. you let out a squeal and turned around. you chuckled as you saw Moody. "I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you" he said. He was obviously very nervous. "You see I was wondering if maybe you wanted to go to the Ball with me?" he looked at the floor. "sure" you said as Gilbert appeared in your head. "really!?" he asked looking up. you chuckled. "yea sure" you said. "great" he said as he walked off. you sighed. Moody was great but you wanted Gilbert.

At the day of the dance you were getting ready in your room. you weren't really excited. two other boys had asked you after moody but it was off little comfort. you looked at yourself in the mirror. you wore a dark green dress and you looked very pretty. your corset was tight and you could hardly breath but you looked pretty. and that was more important. at least that's what your mother thought. you twirled one of your h/c curls around your finger and sighed. a small smile appeared on your face when your father appeared behind you. "you look beautiful darling" he said as he stood beside you. "your date won't be able to keep his eyes of you" he said as you sighed again. "I honestly couldn't care less about what Moody thinks" you say looking down. your father layed a hand on your shoulder. "you don't like him?" he asked. "he's great but I like someone else." you say. "and he asked someone else" you add. your father rubs your shoulder and gives you a sympathetic look. "That's his loss... and there are plenty of other fish in the sea" your father says. "but I don't want any of the other fish" you say as the pain in your chest comes back. your father pulls you into a hug when your mother walks in. "oh honey don't cry it'll ruin your makeup" she says as you pull away. you nodded. "now just try and have some fun. you don't need to cry over some boy. you're a beautiful girl and there's plenty of boys who would love to-" you cut her off. "can everyone stop saying that!" you yell. "I'm leaving" you say as you brush past your parents as your father gives your mother a look.

you wait for moody outside. when he approaches you you give him a weak smile. "you look beautiful" he says with a smile. "thank you" you say looking at your shoes. "and I know you'd rather be with someone else" he says causing you to look up. "I'm sorry" you said. "don't worry about it" he says. "now let's go" he says and you take his arms. you smile and enter the building with him. you hear loud chatter from your friends. "do you want a drink?" Moody asks. you nod and smile as you look around. you look over at the dance floor. and see Ruby and Gilbert dancing not to far away from you. you lock eyes with Gilbert for a moment and freeze. you knew they were gonna be here together but actually seeing them really hurt. tears appear in your eyes as you notice how happy Ruby is. Moody came back with your drink. "thanks" you said taking it from his hands and you walked out of the building and sat on the stairs outside. tears falling down your face.

I should've stayed home.
I. should've. stayed. home.

"Y/n?" you hear a voice behind you. "please just leave me be" you said your voice cracking. someone sat down next to you and put an arm around your shoulder. you smelt a familiar scent and gasped.

Gilbert.

"what's wrong?" he asked rubbing your shoulder. "I... I couldn't see you with her" you say very quietly. Gilbert raises his eyebrows. "you mean Ruby?" he asked. "y-yea" you say looking down. "Y/n I don't like Ruby" he said. you frown. "why did you ask her?" you asked. "well like I said I heard she wanted to go with me and I uhh. I thought you were going with Billy" he said. "Billy?" you asked with a frown. "I saw you two talking and smiling so I assumed-" you cut him off. "what does this have to do with you and Ruby?" you asked feeling a little confused. "I would've never asked her if I knew you didn't already have a date back then" he said. you frowned trying to process what he was saying. "so what you're saying i-" he cut you off. "I like you... a lot" he says. you raise your eyebrows. "you like me?" you ask. he nodded. "do you wanna dance?" he asked with a sparkle in his eyes. he stood up and stuck out his hand. "I'd like that" you say taking his hand. "we should stay here. for Ruby's sake" you say as Gilbert tries to walk back inside. he smiles and nods. he picked you up and spun you around. you giggled as he put you down. you started dancing and you rested your head on his shoulder. you stayed like that for what felt like hours just moving to the music that was faintly heard from inside. "and I uhh really like you too" you say lifting your head and looking at Gilbert. his eyes sparkled. "I know" he says pulling you closer with a small smirk causing you to chuckle.

______________________________________

please vote or comment. I really appreciate it! ✨