Invisible

requested by awaebts26

you sigh softly as you walk to school, hugging your books tight for warmth. you had recently moved to Avonlea and you really missed your home. you didn't have any friends, you were very quiet and shy and nobody ever noticed you, it was like you were invisible.

approaching the schoolhouse you heard loud chatter coming from inside. you quickly hung up your coat and saw your classmates all standing in a circle. you ignored it and walked to your desk, opening your book.

suddenly, in the corner of your eye, you saw everyone turn around. they all started whispering and you couldn't help but feel curious. you turned your head to see Anne walking in with short hair. you slightly widened your eyes as you watched her walk, seeing her gasp softly as she was met with a boy.

I've never seen him before?

you looked at him a little confused as he talked to Anne. everyone seemed to know him already. apparently his name was Gilbert, he seemed very full of himself standing there with the whole class circled around him. you frowned as you turned back to your book waiting for class to start.

Gilbert sat down in his seat as he noticed you, a girl he hadn't seen before. he nudged Charlie's shoulder. "who's that?" he asked as he stared at you. "who?" Charlie asked as he turned his head. "that girl, is she new?" Gilbert asked. "she moved here a few months ago... I don't know her name" Charlie said shrugging. Gilbert frowned. "you don't know her name? you just said she's been here for months" Gilbert whispered as he got a glare from Mr. Phillips. "never really thought of asking... and she never talks" Charlie said. Gilbert frowned deeper as he turned his head back to you, thinking you looked pretty cute.

I'll ask for her name myself.

you noticed Gilbert staring in the corner of your eye. you glanced over at him and he slightly widened his eyes before sending you a smile. you quickly looked away hiding your face behind your hair.

at lunch you went outside and sat by the stream eating your lunch while you watched the trees. you sighed softly as you heard your classmates laughing and chatting loudly. "hey" you jumped up hearing someone behind you. it was Gilbert. "oh I'm sorry I didn't mean to scare you." he said. "it's fine" you said looking away from him. "what's your name?" he asked as he moved slightly to the side to look at your face. "Y/n L/n" you said looking at him, getting a little nervous. "you- you're Gilbert right?" you asked. he nodded. "Gilbert Blythe" he said sticking out his hand. you shook it feeling the softness and warmness of it. "would you uh... like to have an apple?" he asked as he tried handing you one with a blush forming on his cheeks. "no thanks" you said a little cold. "oh... okay" he said awkwardly bringing his hand back. "see you" you mumbled grabbing your stuff and walking off. you scoffed. you weren't gonna be a part of his little fanclub.

you sat down at your desk opening your book again. you felt someone tap your shoulder. you sighed. "leave me alone Gilbert." you said not looking up. "Y/n, right?" you looked up to see Josie. you frowned confused at why she was talking to you. "yea..." you said gulping. "you can't talk to Gilbert Blythe." she said looking at you. you frowned suddenly feeling the urge to talk to him just to piss Josie off. "why not?" you asked. "Ruby has dibs, she's liked him for years" she said crossing her arms. "okay I'll stay away" you said. "good" Josie said before walking off. you scoffed, but you didn't really mind. you weren't planning on talking to that stupid boy anyway.