Traveling pt. 1

You wiped of your trousers and looked at yourself in the mirror. you looked down at the hair you had just cut off. you wanted to work on a ship so you could travel and experience this kind off work but as a girl it wasn't possible. so you decided to make yourself look like a boy. it was hard for you to look like a boy but you found a way to properly cover up your feminine curves. you couldn't wait to go on this adventure. you had packed your stuff and you were planning to start working tomorrow.
you went to bed and tried to fall asleep but you were way to excited to sleep. you were also a bit nervous you had no idea what they'd do if they found out you were a girl.

stop it. I'm going to be fine. I'm going to live my dream and travel.

**

the next morning you got up early. you made breakfast with shaking hands off excitement. after breakfast you grabbed your stuff and walked out of your small home.

The first day on the ship was rough. you had to work really hard but you didn't mind. you weren't afraid of getting your hands dirty but when you were finally able to get to your hammock you were exhausted. you were started to doze off as a boy next to you started singing. "Oh when I was a little boy my mother always told me.."

you knew that song. your parents used to sing it. you chuckled and decided to sing along in a deep voice. "way haul away, we'll haul away, Joe!" you both laughed and a man not too far away groaned. "it's been hours of this. Fireman isn't the only one who don't appreciate that song" the man said. "I was just joking around" the boy next to you said. "well don't" the other man said. you were a little confused what was so bad about joking around. "you're right, you're right, fireman's an easy target." the boy said "that's not why" "what's eating you?" you asked and the man looked over to you. "I've been trimmer for ten years, more. this is all I have. I can't move up, this is it for me. and there ain't nothing for me on dry land" you immediately felt guilty. he continued "you're white boys, you've got options. you are tourists. I need this, don't lose this work for me, understand?" he said while you looked at him with a painful expression. you nodded and looked over at the boy next to you. "yeah" he said and he laid back down in his hammock. "yeah I'm sorry" you said also laid back down feeling really guilty. "and you two don't sing worth a damn" the man said causing you to chuckle. "says you" the boy said also chuckling. after that it was quiet. you almost immediately dozed off.

**

the past days were exhausting. you had worked really hard all the time but it was all worth it because to day you were going to Trinidad! you had grown closer to the boy next to you. his name was Gilbert and the man called Bash. you told them you name was Tom. it was all really confusing for you but you enjoyed it nevertheless. Bash was born in Trinidad and with all his stories you couldn't wait to explore with them.

You walked over the market with them and you were amazed by all the exotic foods and interesting people. you were starving but you weren't able to eat anything. Bash wouldn't let you, saying we needed a taste off the best in Trinidadian bush medicine

"mommy'd say "bash come for a taste" and I'd tip my head back and she'd feed me a spoonful. I can almost taste it now sliding down my throat like spicy green medicine" he said "sounds delicious" you and Gilbert said both at the same time. "oh it was," bash said. "but it was always just the one taste and then she'd serve the family. and I'd be given the scraps that were left" "why didn't you eat with the family?" Gilbert asks slightly confused. "wasn't my family" bash replied. you frowned "who's family was it?" you asked. "the white family she worked for L/n" Bash said and you looked at him "I feel like an idiot I'm sorry" you said. "don't be. still got more flavor from one spoon than you've had in you whole life," he said chuckling. you chuckled as well. "now let's go, you two still need some medicine," he said before fastening his pace.