Just Like Last Year

it was Saturday afternoon and you were on your way to Gilbert's house. he was one of your best friends and you hung out with him alot.

everyone always thought it was weird, since he was your ex boyfriend, but you always stayed good friends and there was never any awkward tension. neither of you ever brought up your relationship and you would never have weird moments.

you never regretted breaking up, you both believed you were better of as friends. or so you thought.

you smiled as you saw Gilbert's house coming closer, the sun blocking your view. you squinted your eyes and quickened your pace.

you knocked on Gilbert's door and he immediately opened it, smiling brightly at you.

"good morning!" he said as he stepped aside so you could walk in.

you chuckled at his cheerful behavior. "why are you so happy?" you asked as you followed Gilbert into the kitchen.

"oh no reason," he said letting out a soft chuckle. "hey, I was thinking maybe we should go to the beach or the lake it's so hot outside and I'd like to go swimming," Gilbert said.

"sounds great." you smiled. "we could bring a blanket and some food."

Gilbert nodded. "there's a blanket underneath my bed, could you get it? I'll get the food," he asked as he grabbed a basket.

"sure," you said before walking over to his bedroom.

Gilbert's familiar scent came into your nose as you looked around the room, thinking about all the hours you had spent there talking, cuddling and kissing.

you smiled to yourself as you stared at the edge of Gilbert's bed where you had your first kiss...

"did you find it?" Gilbert asks, snapping you out of your thoughts.

"uhhm..." you bend down and grabbed the blanket from underneath his bed. "yea I got it!" you walked back into the kitchen.

"ready to go?" you asked as Gilbert stood awkwardly with his basket in his hand. he nodded and send you a smile before opening the front door.

"so beach or lake?" Gilbert asks as he walks outside.

"I'd prefer the beach, I haven't been there in ages!" you said as you linked your arm through Gilbert's.

"beach it is!" Gilbert said letting out a chuckle. he stared down at your arms with a smile on his face and a weird feeling in his stomach.

you approached the beach and you layed the blanket down in the sand. there was a light breeze. Gilbert sat the basket down and started to take of his clothes.

you slowly took of your shoes and walked into the hot sand. when Gilbert was finished he looked at you. "are you coming or not?" he asked gesturing towards the sea.

"yea I'll be right there," you said. Gilbert nodded as he rushed towards the sea and jumped in.

you shivered and started to take of your clothes, leaving you in your undergarments. you stared at the sea, you didn't even know how to swim.

how hard could it be?

you ran towards and slowly stepped into the water. "come on it's pretty warm!" Gilbert said causing you to gulp. shaking, you went further in.

Gilbert swam towards you with a smile on his face. he splashed water in your face causing you to squeal. "what's taking you so long?" Gilbert asked laughing.