Chapter 28

Jason stood with Blair atop of Wayne Enterprises for the second time that day, looking out over the city, all lit up for the night, "I can't believe you wanted to partner with me instead of Kate

Jason stood with Blair atop of Wayne Enterprises for the second time that day, looking out over the city, all lit up for the night, "I can't believe you wanted to partner with me instead of Kate."

Blair hid a smile, "Well, there is no way I'm going to let you loose on the city on your own. You're too new to this."

Jason nodded, gazing at her from the corner of his eye. While she studied the streets of the city, scanning for any sign of trouble, she managed to look like just what she wanted to be when she was a kid; a lady knight, surveying the land of her kingdom. There was just a little nagging thought in his mind every time he looked over at her, "What's going on with you and River?"

The question surprised her, but she kept her eyes on the streets, "Nothing. We're just friends."

"Didn't look that way when I saw you earlier." He muttered, turning his gaze back to the city.

Blair however turned to face him, her arms crossed with a confused and shocked expression on her face, "Are you serious? Jason, I can't date anyone. Even if I wanted to, I can't."

"Oh, so you want to." He rolled his eyes, eyes still fixed on the streets below.

"That's not what I'm saying."

"What are you saying?" Jason turned his head in her direction, waiting for her to explain

Blair sighed, leaning against the edge of the roof on her arms, "It's a set of rules I have. I can't date anyone because they won't know me. It's too hard." She looked out over the city, seeing the lights from the museum gala lighting up the night sky. "Kate tried after becoming Batwoman and it didn't work out for her. Dick tried a couple times, but nothing really stuck unless it was Dawn but even that fell through. This life makes it hard to have that type of connection with someone and I'm not a one night type of girl."

Jason stayed quiet, watching as she shook her head, a small laugh leaving her lips, "You don't realize how much you give up when you sign onto this."

"I'm sorry. That's fucked up." He said quietly, wondering just how much she had given up when she had become Knight Wolf. He loved this life, but he hadn't had much to give up to begin with. Blair, on the other hand, she had a whole life ahead of herself before she had signed on. He had never heard her complain of it before, even now it wasn't a complaint, just an observation. A really sad and lonely observation.

"Hey, don't worry about it. You still have options, if that's what you want." She shrugged, still not looking at him.

"What does that mean?" This time it was Jason's turn to look at her in confusion.

"It means you're cute. You can get whoever you want easily." She spoke softly, explaining her point. "One night stands might be your thing, but they'll never be mine."