18 // Smith

I apply a final layer of red lipstick before I hear a knock on my hotel room door. Tapping my phone to check the time, I see it's exactly 7:01, a.k.a. time for Noah and I's date.

He said it was a formal dress, which I lucked out when Jess convinced me to bring one "fancy" thing. I don't like wearing dresses, and I never have. When I was younger, my mom would have to bribe me to dress up, especially if it was for the church (which I don't even attend anymore). I don't mind wearing skirts and dresses occasionally, but I'd rather wear trousers and a t-shirt or crewneck. Why wear uncomfortable dresses when you could just wear a normal outfit and be comfy whilst still looking cute? It just doesn't make sense to me.

I set the lipstick tube down on the bathroom counter before skipping to the door. I open it, revealing Noah, wearing a white knit sweater with plaid pants and white sneakers. Formal, but not too fancy. I liked it a lot.

"Hey," He breathes out, smiling his crooked smile.

"Hey," I say back.

"You look..." He examines my outfit up and down. "Beautiful," He says finally.

"And you look..." I take my turn to look at his outfit the same way he did mine. "Incredibly handsome."

"Thanks," He says, blushing and looking down at the ground

"Thanks," He says, blushing and looking down at the ground. "I, uh, I got you this." He extends his arm forward and presents me with a single red rose.

"Noah," I whine happily taking the flower. "You didn't have to!"

"I wasn't sure what your favorite flower is, so I chose the most 'romantic' flower, since this is a date," He unnecessarily explains his choices.

"It's perfect, thank you," I say wholeheartedly.

God, he's so sweet.

"No problem," He says, rocking back and forth on his toes nervously. "So, erm, you ready to go?"

"Yeah, let me just grab my bag." I leave him at the door for a second as I grab my purse and my phone, as well as my hotel keycard. Once I had everything inside my purse that was hanging from my shoulder, I declared, "Let's go."

* * *

Noah drove a cream 2012 Ford Fusion, which was impressive considering him to be enrolled in med school and working part-time at a hotel.

He wouldn't tell me where we were going, saying he wanted it to be a complete surprise. I definitely was surprised when he led me into a restaurant called The Wolseley. It had a beautiful exterior, which sold me right away. He had made a reservation under his name and the hostess seated us at a small table for two. We both ordered waters to drink, even after he insisted on me getting an alcoholic beverage. I told him I wasn't one to drink, which was only half true. Being roommates with Jess means there's going to be at least a few parties I'm dragged to, they pressured (by Jess herself) into taking shots.

"I feel like I know nothing about you," Noah says, sitting back in his chair.

"You pretty much guessed it all the day we met," I let out a single chuckle, looking down at the tablecloth.

"I have a feeling that was only the tip of the iceberg." He raises an eyebrow.

"Well, what do you wanna know?" I ask.

"I don't know," He thinks for a moment, "Tell me about your family."

"Parents are still married, I have a brother and two sisters who are twins...aaand that's pretty much it," I tell him bluntly.

"You don't seem to enthused talking about your family," He points out.

"Not really the family type," I shrug, "At least not crazy about mine."

"And why's that?"

"They're judgemental," I say bluntly.

"Why do their opinions matter so much to you?"

"I don't know, I just always felt like a black sheep when it came to my family. I've always felt so out of place and...unaccepted."

"Wow."

"Yeah, sorry," I shake my head, laughing nervously, "That got really deep."

"No no, it's okay," He assures me, making me finally look up to make eye contact. "I wish I could say I relate and know how you're feeling, but I can't."

"Let's change the subject," I suggest, "How about you? What's your family like?"

"Oh! Speaking of which, I called my dad and we talked a little about you," He says sheepishly, before clearing his throat to compose himself. He now made a serious face as he spoke, "I told him how you went to Harry's show last night. And, turns out, he was actually working there last night!"

"Really? Does your dad work at the Electric Ballroom?" I ask, now intrigued.

"No, actually," He speaks happily, "He's a police officer. He was working security last night, maybe you saw him."

"What does your dad look like?"

"He's a bit bigger, he's got dark hair and blue eyes," He describes, "I look almost nothing like him. I get most of my looks from my mom."

Oh, God.

"Noah," I laugh nervously, "Random question, um. What- what is your last name?"

Please don't be Smith. Please don't be Smith. Please don't be Smith.

"Smith," He says, raising an eyebrow. "Why?"

"Do you have two sisters?"

"Uh, yeah?"

"One's a lawyer and one's a cosmetologist? Your mom teaches at an apprehensive school an hour and a half away from here?" I ask, breathing heavily and my palms sweating.

"Wait, how did you know that?" He asks, leaning over the table with a look of fear on his face.

"I- uh- I met your dad last night," I tell him, eyes wide.

"Really?" The excitement in his face brightens. "That's great!"

"Uh-huh," I mumble breathlessly.

As if right on cue, my phone buzzes in my lap. I was quick to pick it up and check it, anything to escape this dreadfully awkward moment. But I never would've expected this person to be texting me.

Harry: Great! Want to meet for coffee tomorrow? I know a great place right by your hotel.