42 // You're Still The One

a/n: guess who didn't want to edit !!

* * *

Slowly but surely, Harry and I make our way downstairs to the party.

"I'm nervous," I whisper to him as we creep down the stairs. There was probably no need for me to be so quiet, the music was loud enough that my normal talking voice would be close to inaudible.

"Don't be," he assures me, "everything's gonna be fine."

"I just don't want anyone to act...weird because you're here," I tell him truthfully once we reach the bottom of the staircase, now standing right in front of the front door.

"Why would they act weird?"

"I don't know," I sigh, "You're just really...well known by people our age."

"You mean famous, don't you?" He asks, nodding knowingly.

"I know you don't like that word," I say quietly, shrugging.

"It's alright if you say it, love," he says, shrugging. "I just don't like when people associate me with being famous. It's not like, 'oh, I like you because you're you. You're Harry.' It's like, 'I like you because you're famous.' Does that make sense?"

"Of course," I nod, "You don't like when it's used as a negative thing. And I completely understand that."

"Exactly," he smiles.

The way he smiled really got me thinking. It was a calm smile, almost like it was a smile of relief. As if no one had ever understood this. Like he was happy that somebody finally understood him.

But maybe I was just getting ahead of myself here.

Harry snapped me out of my thoughts by looping his arm around my waist and pulling me into his side. He placed a kiss onto my hair.

"Either way," he whispers near my ear, "let's hope they're all too shit-faced to notice."

His arm releases my waist only to change it position to across my shoulders.

"Shall we?" he asks properly, gesturing in front of us to the party of people, completely oblivious to Harry and I's existence.

"We shall." And with that, we begin to walk forward, Harry's arm still draped around me.

We enter the living room full of people together. The first person to see us was Jackson, who opened his arms wide and walked toward us.

"Look who finally came down to join the party," he says, bringing me in for a hug.

"Harry," Jackson says as we pull away, then bringing him in for a quick hug as well.

I smiled fondly at their "brotherly" embrace, if you will. Harry looked completely taken by surprise that Jackson hugged him. But nonetheless, he hugged him back.

"Jesus, how long does it take you guys to get ready?" Jackson asks, pulling away from Harry, smiling brightly.

He was most definitely already intoxicated.

"We weren't getting ready that entire time," I roll my eyes.

"Ohhh," his eyebrows raises and he begins to nod, smiling toothlessly, "I get what you mean."

"That's...not what I meant," I say bluntly, closing my eyes and shaking my head.

"No, no, I got you," Jackson says, nodding, sounding like a hardcore stoner. "Y'all aren't comfortable with talking about your sex life and that's totally fine."