55 // Watermelon Sugar

a/n: here's a short chapter :)

* * *

I wake up, my body hugged by Harry's. I must have fallen asleep during the movie last night because I don't remember falling asleep.

But what I do remember is Harry and I establishing our relationship as "official." I never realized when I said to people we were just friends, it bothered him. I don't really have to worry about doing that now, but the more you know, I guess. I also remember getting up in the middle of the night to change my tampon, but that's a whole different story we don't need to get into.

I—as cautiously as possible, careful not to wake him up—slip out of Harry's arms. As much as I loved his cuddles, the room was getting a little too hot for my comfort and I don't plan on drenching Harry's shirt in my sweat anytime soon.

Harry stirs in his sleep until his eyes gently flutter open. A soft, tired smile spread across his lips as his eyes land on me.

"Good morning," he attempts to say, but his hand quickly comes up to grip his throat. The voice he used to greet me sounded hoarse, nowhere near his normal morning voice.

"Are you alright?" I ask, genuinely concerned.

"Yeah, I just..." He rubs his throat, his voice returning. "I've got kind of a sore throat."

"Aww," I say, frowning. Completely disregarding what I said earlier about the room being too hot, I'm quick to wrap him in a loving embrace. Honestly, at this point, I couldn't care less if I were to get sick. I like to be taken care of when I'm sick, so I do the same in return for others. Not that I'm taken care of all the time, it's a very rare occasion.

"Good thing we go home tomorrow," he says, burying his face into the crook of my neck, his breath warm against my skin.

"Not really," I frown, "that means I have to go back to work."

"I have to go to L.A. in like a week and a half," he tells me, my eyes widening, "I have a few meetings with my team and management, then I have a few music videos to film."

Without thinking first, I immediately gasp. Harry's music videos are always incredible—literal cinematic masterpieces.

"Oh my god, for what songs?" I ask excitedly.

"Falling and Watermelon Sugar."

"That's so exciting! What are you planning to do?"

He sits up excitedly, "So for the Falling video, I'm gonna be playing the piano this room and it's gonna like fill up with water and then I'm gonna drown—but not really because the beginning will actually be the end after all the water drains out and I'm perfectly fine but not like mentally." That may have been the fastest I've ever heard him talk.

He looks at me with a sparkle in his eyes, awaiting my response. Meanwhile, I sit there with my jaw dropped, not quite expecting what I had just heard. I always thought if he ever made a music video for Falling, he would be sitting in a dark room with a piano and just sing. Never in a million years would I have thought his idea would be to drown!

"Wow," was all I could really manage to say. I raise my eyebrows in surprise.

"Yeah," he says sheepishly as he lets out a breathy laugh, looking down.

I could clearly see how excited he was to film this video, no matter how hard he tried to mask it.

"What about Watermelon Sugar?"

His head tilts up and the corner of his mouth twitches.

"It'll be on the beach," he says simply, obviously trying to tease me.

"That's all you're gonna tell me?" I laugh, crinkling my eyebrows.

"You'll just have to wait and see," he teases again, shrugging. It was silent for a short moment before he peeked his head up, his face glowing. "Hey, you should come with."

"To L.A.?" I ask, just so I was clear on where exactly he wanted me to go with him.

"Yeah." He shrugs. "I leave on the 15th of this month. Then I have a lot going on for like the next month after that."

My breath hitches as I hear him say the 15th of this month. That day is my least favorite day of the entire year, the day I dread for weeks after New Year's Day. But sadly, it always comes around and there's really no escaping it. It's an almost impossible thing to miss.

"So do you want to come?" he asks hopefully.

"As much as I'd love to," I say, sighing and looking down, "I have to get back to work when we get back."

"You know," he says slowly, "like I've said before, I have many friends that would love for you to do their nails...who live in L.A."

"That sounds so fun," I say wholeheartedly, preparing to decline him gently. "but I love my clients. I mean, they have been texting me literally nonstop asking where I've been."

"What have you told them?"

"I pretty much just said that I've been taking some time off to myself, which I obviously apologized for," I sigh once again, a feeling of sadness washing over my body like the 2014 ice bucket challenge. "Even though they said I deserve the time off, I still feel so bad for having to reschedule all of their appointments."

"Sorry," Harry says, frowning as if it was his fault.

"Why are you apologizing? Bringing you here and spending time with you has been my choice. I chose you."

His eyes glistened as he looked at me. It almost looked as if he was about to cry, but his face didn't twist like mine does whenever I'm on the verge of tears.

"You know, I've been thinking about that a lot. The idea of me coming home with you, I mean," he tells me, his voice quiet and soft. "I took a really big chance doing that and in all honesty, I was fucking terrified. But then I remembered some advice I was given—which I ended up passing on to a fan one time. I remembered that life is too short not to tell people how we feel. And if you really mean it, then there's nothing to be scared of." He sucks in a breath. "A-And I felt like...if I let you leave without ever knowing what could've happened between us, I never would've forgiven myself. I would've lived the rest of my life wondering about you, probably writing song after song. Just thinking, I wonder what would've happened if I had just said yes."

I feel a tear trickle down my cheek, me being the hormonal crybaby I am.

"Harry, I-"

"You don't need to say anything," he stops me, placing his hand on my thigh. "I just want you to know how I feel. I feel like...comfortable sharing my thoughts with you. I don't feel judged by you, which is very refreshing. I hate being told what to do, and you just give me a sense of...freedom. You make me feel like I can do anything and will always be supported."

He said I didn't need to say anything, which was a lifesaver because I was speechless. I've never in my life met a man who was as vulnerable and open as Harry was being right now. I felt like I was traveling through the ventricles of his heart, exploring around.

"Anyways," he shakes his head as if he was rambling about nonsense, "we should probably get ready. It's our last day here and I don't want to waste a second."

"Y-Yeah," I say, slowly getting up off the bed.

* * *