24 // It's A Small World After All

It's been a few days since I've last talked to Noah. He hasn't spoken to me since the thing with Harry, and I haven't made any effort to talk to him either. I haven't talked to Harry. He texted me the day after the whole incident with Noah, but I didn't feel like speaking to him either. It was just too weird to talk about with him. But in all honesty, I really wished Noah would make an attempt to reach out to me so I could explain everything to him.

But what was there to explain? All I could really say was the truth. And the truth was: I slept in the same bed as Harry. Nothing happened whatsoever, I just...slept with him. And the worst part is, I don't even have the clearest memory of it. I can recall a few blurbs here and there, but we must've been so tired that we both crashed. Not that I wanted to remember it anyway, I feel awful.

Tonight was Christmas Day dinner. We all exchanged gifts earlier this morning. Emily, of course, gave Mom the hideous blouse she picked out shopping, and I gave her a beautiful necklace I spotted later that day in the window of a jewelry store. It was quite expensive, might I mention and I knew it would look incredible on my mother.

I had just gotten ready for dinner, wearing a grey sweater and black pants. I had already worn my "fancy" outfit for my date with Noah, and I would rather not wear it dirty. And I felt more comfortable in this anyway.

I exited the hotel to see the big van already waiting outside to take everyone to dinner. My stomach growling, in need of fuel to get me through the rest of this night, I hopped into the van, sitting next to my sister in law, Hailey.

"Took you long enough," Leo scoffs with a roll of his eyes.

"Leonardo," Dad scolds, shifting the car into drive, "you have a wife, you should know that it takes a woman a little longer to get ready than a man."

Leo stays silent in his seat. Hailey places her hand on my knee gently, smiling at me.

"I think you look beautiful," she whispers to me sweetly.

I give her an appreciative nod in return.

Mom also stays silent in the front seat, not even given me so much as a glance. She and I haven't exactly been in the best place with each other since the museum. I had forgiven her, but she obviously hadn't forgiven me.

We arrived at an Indian restaurant and all got out of the van. My entire family was dressed in their best attire, and here I was in pants and a sweater. The boys even dressed fancier than me.

"Liliana," Mom finally speaks to me, but sadly she seems angry, "may I speak to you?"

"Sure," I mumbled nervously. God only knows what she needed to talk to me about. She drags me aside, away from the rest of our family who enters the restaurant as a group, leaving Mom and me out here alone. It was around 6:30 at night and the sun had already set, causing the air to be freezing.

"What the hell are you wearing?" She scolds, looking my outfit up and down. I couldn't help but notice her attire. She was wearing the ugly purple blouse with a white skirt, but not my necklace.

"W-what's wrong with it?" I stammer, taking a moment to look down at my outfit. No cleavage, no midriff, no legs. I didn't see anything wrong with it.

"What have I always told you to wear when we go out to eat as a family?"

"I figured since this place isn't super classy..." I trail off once I pick up on the fact that no matter what I say, it's not going to change her mind. "I'm sorry."

"You are a representation of all of us," she lowers her voice to a whisper as a couple walks past, "You wouldn't want us to be embarrassed, now would you?"

"No," I say quietly, shaking my head as I look down at the ground shamefully.

"Good," she nods, "So next time, maybe...try a little harder."

I nod, and once she felt she said what she needed to say, she hums and walks away. I follow closely behind her into the restaurant.

* * *

I plop down face-first on the hotel bed for the final time of this entire trip. It was my last night in London and it didn't go too well. Mom didn't like my outfit or the gift I gave her just this morning. I'd like to think that maybe, just maybe, she had forgotten to put it on. But knowing my mom, she didn't like it. And it would never touch any skin on her body other than her hands to put it in her jewelry box, never to be reached for again.

My phone sounds on the nightstand and I reach for it, hoping it would be Noah or Jess; the only two people I could handle talking to right now. But to my surprise, it was an unknown number.

Out of curiosity, I opened the message and sat up straight on the best with my legs folded under me. I read the text in my head.

"Hello Liliana, this is George Smith. Noah informed me that we had met at the concert and I had no idea that you were the girl he talked so much about. What a small world! Anyways, he also told me about you and Harry. Even though I may be Noah's dad and should be rooting for you and his relationship, I saw the way Harry looked at you. I also overheard him and Gemma talking about you before you two took pictures together, but I won't get into that for now. Now, Noah doesn't know I'm messaging you right now, I may or may not have stolen your number from his phone. I felt the need to text you and ask you for a favor. I would like you to understand that I may be on Harry's side, but I am still Noah's father. He really likes you, Liliana. So I need to ask you: please let Noah down gently. He's going to be heartbroken either way, but it will be better if you spoke to him personally. Thank you.
- Officer George Smith."

My jaw remained dropped from the moment I saw who the message was from. Why the hell would George be getting involved?!

I may regret it later, but it was quick to send him a reply.

Lili: Hi George, it's great to hear from you. I'm just going to tell you straight up, I like Noah a lot. If there was a choice, I would choose him. But there isn't a choice, because Harry isn't even an option. But in all honesty, it doesn't matter how much I like Noah because I'm going home tomorrow and will probably never see him again. I will text him goodbye, but that is all.