Chapter 9

“Hey, wake up,” I hear my sister call out for me.

“Noo,” I groan.

“Skye, come on,” She says in a sing song tune.

“Okay,” I say as I open my eyes.

"You are gonna be late for school, come on I’m driving yah,” She informs me.

“Why,” I mumble.

“Mom came back and took her car, said she is going out of town for a while and she needs a fast car,” She says.

“Hmm,” I groan again.

“Seriously dude, get up or else,” She begins.

“Okay, I’m up,” I say quickly because I know ‘or else’ means a bucket full of water on my sleepy body.

“Good, I’m giving you 30 minutes to get ready,” She informs me.

“Yeah yea,” I say as I struggle to get up. “Shit, my back is sore!”

My sister giggles.

I slap her arm and make my way slowly to the shower.

I quickly do my morning routine and straighten my messy hair up before I run downstairs.

“Hey dad, I didn’t know you would be here,” I say surprised.

“Hi sweetheart, just had to come and pack some clothes for your mom and I,” He says.

“Why, where are you going, and where is mom?” I ask, not that I need to anyway since I know it has something to do with the hospital.

“We have a sick patient in Chicago and I have to make it there before the end of the day. Your mom decided to leave last night so she can get some rest before we can get straight to work,” He informs us.

“Okay, well must we pack you some food, anything?” I ask.

“No honey, I will grab something on the way. Love you both,” He says as he kisses us.

“Bye daddy, safe travel,” Toya says.

“Bye sweetheart, look after each other,” He calls out.

After having eaten breakfast, Toya drove me to school and we arranged the time for when she must pick me up. Of course I told her to come 20 minutes prior ‘cause I know she won’t stick to the real time if I told her.

“Bye,” I say as I shut the passenger door of our parent’s white Mercedes A45 AMG.

“Be good,” She says as she puts on her shades.

“Always, later,” I say as I start to walk away.

“Hey Toya,” I hear Riley greeting my sister as the car goes by.

“Skye,” she calls out as she sprints to me.

“Hey, how are you,” I say

“Good and you?”

“In pain,” I respond.

“Why?” She asks.

“I had to sleep on the floor yesterday,” I say.

“Why?” She asks. 

“Long story,”

“Okay, why did Toya drive you to school?” She asks.

“My parents are out of town so we only have one car with us,” I inform her.

“Oh. I wish my parents could be rich doctors and get to travel all the time too,” She says.