Chapter 1

"AND THERE SHE GOES AGAIN, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN! SANTIAGO WITH ANOTHER GOAL! SAVING THE CARDINALS ONCE AGAIN THIS SEASON." The announcer states on the intercom.

Cameron Santiago POV

Wow, it has been quite a year for me. Long story short, my dreams are coming true. There were many detours to get to where I am now but in what life is there a straight path. I'm now a sophomore at Stanford University on a full soccer scholarship. It may seem that my life is simple and I prefer people to think that because boy does it get complicated.

"Cameron, are you coming to celebrate with us?" Sophia Smith asked me.

"Who else would be the designated driver then?" I replied back. She and the rest of the team laughed. We just won our final game against the UCLA Bruins. What usually happens after a win is a celebration. One of the frat houses always throws us one after a win. I don't drink and don't plan on it anytime soon so I became the team's DD. That caused me to become the team's "soccer mom" on nights like this. 

"Cameron!" I hear someone shout my name in the locker room. I look around and see my other teammate Lauren Rood calling for me. "Coach Paul wants to speak to you."

I quickly hop in and out of the showers and make my way to the head coaches office. I knock before entering.

"Hi Coach, you wanted to see me?"

"Santiago, you are going to go places, far places. You are abilities and talents don't go unnoticed."

"Thanks Coach." I only reply.

"I'm serious. You have come so far and worked on being your best self. I have watched you grow into the person you have always meant to become. You have stayed strong in your recovery and despite the trauma in your life." He said as I felt tears fill my eyes. "I just want you to be aware of how strong you are."

Coach has been one of the few who knew my past, other than my close friends back home and some teammates. When he spoke to me about joining the team two years ago, I was honest with him in our chat. He had to know what he was getting himself involved with. He took a risk on me. With my past record, he could have easily chosen a different midfielder, but he stuck with me. I don't have words to explain my respect for him. He believed in me and I showed him what I got. I owe it to him and myself to leave everything I have on the field.

"Coach you know how I feel about being on this team. It has opened me up to believe again. I never gave up hope but you just showed me in believing in myself."

"Well I have some news for you." He has a big smile on his face. "I hope that will push you to become better."

I just look at him.

"I got an important call from the USWNT. They want you at their camp in a few days."

"Are you serious?" I looked at him dead in the face.

"Of course I am. You know I don't play games with you. So what do you think?"

"No." I simply say.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Copyright Note: I own nothing. I only own my made up character, story line and plot.

AN- Hope you liked it and stick around. There is a lot to come with this character and the story line. Just be patient with me.
-AK