Chapter 45

Cameron Santiago POV

"You're what?" I question into my phone as I Facetime Adam.

"They are offering a lot that could help my family. Babe, I know you it's a lot to take in, but it needs to happen." I see his sad eyes as he explains.

"No, I get it. Family comes first, I'm just taken aback." I try to explain myself.

"I know it's sudden, I hope you can forgive me. The Army just holds a lot of things not many can offer. I'll finally get proper medical insurance for my mother. She's really struggling, Cam."

"When do you ship out for bootcamp?" I question him hoping it's not soon.

"In two days." He simply says.

"Wait. Wait. I'm confused. How long did you know?" I feel myself getting angry.

"About three weeks ago. Don't be upset that I waited this long to tell you. I didn't know how to tell you." Adam pleads.

"Ha. Are you serious? We have talked everyday and you didn't want to mention this? Of course I'm upset. It's not the fact you are leaving but the fact you hid it from me for so long that hurts more." I express my thoughts.

"I wanted us to cherish the days we have left without you thinking about me leaving. I'm sorry babe."

"What about us?" I question. "Are we going to stay together?"

"I wasn't planning on breaking up, Cameron. I love you." He what's me? Did he really use those words? "Cameron. Say something."

"Sorry. I love you too." I say the words I haven't said since Kyle passed. "We'll make it through this. We have a strong relationship." I think positively.

"You can send letters. I'm going to miss you." He says.

"How long are you going to be gone for?"

"Over 15 weeks. Hey don't cry. You have a whole team behind you if you need anything. Trust them, Cameron. Let Ash and Ali in." He tells me. Adam knows how I tend to distance myself when things happen instead of opening up. He has been patient with me and showed me how to express myself.

"That's a long time." I'm scared. So many things can happen within that time frame.

"Mhm. Don't worry, I'll be back. I'm not leaving you."

"I know. Listen, I have to go. I'll call you later." I rush my words over the phone.

"Cam, I'm not leaving you." He repeats his words. "Don't hang up the phone until you get it in your head that I'm not leaving you. This isn't goodbye."

My insecurities are hitting me hard. "Bye Adam," I hang up the phone and just sit in my thoughts.

I get a text from him saying he isn't leaving me. A tear sheds down my cheek. I know he isn't leaving me but my mind won't stop telling me otherwise. "Everyone leaves you. Everyone you care about leaves you." My inner voice chants.

"I'm going to walk Logan." I call to Ash and Ali as I grab her leash. I need to clear my head. The voices in my head are getting louder. We end up walking for over an hour and I feel bad as I watch Logan pant in the hot Florida heat. We are half an hour from the house so I decide to give us a break and sit in the shade. Fifteen minutes pass and I get a text from Ash.

"Adam told me he shared some news with you. I'm here to listen to whatever it is going on." The text stated. Adam and Ashlyn have gotten close since the night they were introduced to each other. They take advice and fashion styles from each other. I'm not surprised he would tell Ash to check in on me. I don't reply and instead make my way home.

"Hey kid." Ash says spotting me as I make my way to the backyard.

"He's leaving." I state.

"I'm confused. Explain." She says sitting on the couch across from me.

"Adam. He's leaving to join the Army to help out his family. He's going to be gone for so long." I see her expression soften up.

"Aww, sweets. He has to do what he has to do for his family." She understands his stance.

"I know. And I know he has to do it, but my mind keeps telling me he's going to leave me for good. When our communication gets cut off, what if he finds someone better than me. What if my feelings for him dwindle away. What if we can't remember the reason we got together."

"Slow down, kid." Ash halts me. "That's not going to happen. What you and Adam have is strong. I've seen you both grow in the relationship over the weeks and you guys will make it through this. This is the first hurdle you both have to deal with in your relationship, but I don't see why you guys won't get over it."

"It's going to be an adjustment." She nods in agreement. "One day at a time I guess."

"One day at a time." Ash confirms my words.

XXXXXXXXXXXX
Wow, you guys really hating on Adam lmfao. From what I've collected 100% of the comments want a Cam & Kelley ship. Give me a ship name for the two of them & I'll consider to make it happen(maybe).
Much love,
~AK