Chapter 39

Kelley O'Hara POV

It's the night before our match against South Korea. Cameron has been constantly hanging out with Adam. I'm the only one on the team that knows she's in a relationship. She always comes back looking a little disheveled but she explains that is due to them hooking up. I buy her story. She's always covering her neck since her first date and now she's constantly wearing long sleeves despite the hot temperature outside. She says she's been feeling sick and just doesn't want to make it worse. I believe her yet again.

I walk into the hotel and head over to our room. I just came back from a shopping trip with some of the girls. We have been shopping for hours over the original set time we all had planned. I unlock my room and head in. I see Cameron standing there in her sports bra  and sweatpants with her back turned to me. My eyes involuntarily gaze down her back and then my eyes do a double take.

"Why do you have bruises all over your back?" I ask, not wanting to jump to conclusions. She jumps to the sound of my voice and turns around like a deer caught in headlights.

"They aren't what you think." She quickly finds a t-shirt and puts it on trying to cover up the evidence. She put it on but not before I noticed she has littered bruises all over her torso and stomach as well.

"What the actual fuck?" I'm so confused and concerned. "Are those hand prints around your neck?!"

"Shhhh, why are you screaming?" Cameron asks.

"I don't know if you noticed but you look like a picture you'd find on a domestic abuse poster!" I exclaim. I swear to God if Adam laid a hand on her.

"It's not what you think. Adam and I have been having rough sex!" She blurts out.

"I don't buy it. I know abuse when I see it." I hold my ground. Things are finally making sense.

"Believe what you want but that's what this is." She tells me. "Where are you going?" She asks as I make my way out the door.

"To tell Ash and Ali. See what they want to believe." I noticed her fear fly across her face.

"You can't do that!" She runs and slams the door shut. "I promise you Adam didn't hurt me!"

I chuckle at her lie.

"Why don't you believe me!"

"Cameron, I have seen abuse first hand. I have experienced it. I'm not stupid."

"I didn't say you were stupid." She tears up.

"Just tell me the truth, Cammy." She looks at me like she wants to say something but we are rudely interrupted by someone knocking on the door. We both are startled and I notice her pick up a hoodie and slide it on top of her t-shirt. She puts the hood up and tighten the strings.

"Cam? Kelley? I know you guys are in there." I hear Ash knocking on the door.

"Please don't tell them." She begs me. I nod and open the door up.

"Damn Cameron, where have you been?" Ash states. "It's like we haven't seen you in forever but it's been less than 72 hours."

"You know. Here and there." Cameron states making eye contact with me to make sure I don't say anything. Ali makes her way to Cam's bed as Ash sits on mine.

"Where did you guys go today?" Cam asks them.

"We went on a shopping spree with a couple of the girls. When I tell you Ash spent so much money on outfits and shoes, I'm not exaggerating." Ali tells me.

"Did Pinoe buy sunglasses?" I throw the question out.

"Yes! I swear that chick has an addiction to buying sunglasses." Ash responds and we all laugh because that's such a true statement.

"Aren't you hot in that hoodie?" Ash questions Cam. "If I'm hot, you're usually burning up, kid. You okay?"

I see Cameron make eye contact with me and I see the panic in her eyes.

"What's going on?" Ash pushes on the topic.

"I'm going to tell them." I see Ali and Ash sit up straight as they feel the seriousness in my tone.

"Kelley don't. Please-" Cam's eyes widen.

"Cameron hasn't been feeling well these past few days." I cut Cam off. I see her let out a breath she was holding in and relax a little bit.

I immediately see Ali put the back of her hand on Cam's forehead.

"You don't feel warm." She states. "What have you been feeling?" I notice her motherly instincts come out.

"Constant headaches and chills."

"How long? Why didn't you come to us?" Ash says.

"I didn't want to bother you guys. I figured I could take care of myself and Kelley here has been by my side. Don't get mad at Kelley. I made her promise not to tell you guys." Cameron says.

"Have you been eating and staying hydrated?" Ali asks. Cameron goes to answer but her face turns pale and she runs to the bathroom. Ali follows right behind her and shuts the door. Me and Ash listen as Cameron throws up.

But Cameron isn't actually sick is she? Either she's putting on a show or she's actually coming down with something.

A few minutes pass and I see Ali open the door. "May one of you help me take her to bed. She's too weak to stand on her own." Me and Ash quickly make our way to the bathroom and see Cameron sitting with her head leaning against the bathtub.

All three of us help stand Cameron up, but as soon as she's on her feet we feel her knees buckle and put all her weight in our hands. We all hold her straight up long enough for Ash to pick her up and lay her in bed.

"It wasn't this bad early." I blurt out honestly concerned for this kid. "This is the first time she has thrown up."

"Cameron, can we get you anything?" Ali asks laying next to her stroking her hair.

"Something for a migraine." She says with a rasp in her voice. Maybe she really isn't feeling well.

"Okay. Me and Kelley are going to go to the CVS down the street. We'll be right back." Ashlyn offers.

Me and Ash make our way to the pharmacy and I think she noticed the tears in my eyes.

"Kelley, hey what are the tears for?"

"I'm just concerned for her. It hurts seeing her weak and in pain." I say not lying.

"She'll be okay. She's a tough nut." Ashlyn says and I chuckle.

"Does she usually get migraines?"

"Usually if she's highly stressed or going through withdrawal symptoms." Ash's voice gets quieter the more she thinks about my question.

"She hasn't been using, right?" She questions me.

"Not that I have noticed. She just seems tired all the time." I hate lying to Ash and withholding information.

We end up buying Excedrin which helps with migraines and some gatorade to keep her electrolytes up.